TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a new car. I have thought about getting an SUV. I dont want something huge though. First ones that come to mind are the chevy blazer and ford explorer. I think both are pretty nice, though a little bigger than I hoped. I am looking for something with good fuel efficency, and handles good in snow and ice. Willing to spend $3-4000, and minimally after that on repairs/maintance. Does anyone have any reccomendations, or any positive or negative experiences?

Thanks!

·
8,239 Posts
Well for 3-4 grand, you limit yourself quite a bit.

With that kind of money you can get an all wheel drive subaru, like a mid 90s sedan. They are great in winter.

The earlier explorers are pigs on gas, you might be able to get a ranger with an extended cab.
JH

·
Registered
521 Posts
i sold my 96 jimmy for a new envoy. i love the envoy but the jimmy was a damn good truck, and you can pick thoes up really cheap now.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Explorers aren't the best on gas. You can probably get yourself into a 94 and under Explorer for that much... I wouldn't even bother with the Blazer...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I heard the early Blazers had many problems. Just make sure to see what work might have been done. I think mostly what I heard was brakes which get replaced anyways. Check www.alldata.com for what kind of things to look for in each vehicle.
A couple friends in college had explorers and loved them.

good luck,
-Shawn

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
Avoid anything with a 4L60E or 4L80E transmission. I've owned a GMC Jimmy (65,000 miles when we got rid of it) and GMC Sonoma (71,000 miles now), both 97's, both had transmission problems. The rebuild on the Sonoma (at 64,000 miles) cost me $1800. Both also suffered from DexCool problems. Both had the heater core replaced because it was totally plugged up (10 hours labor and $700 plus on each). The Sonoma lost the water pump, thermostat (3 times) and radiator because of that crap. Also owned a 97 C1500 with the 4.3L and 4L60E and it was decent but I only put 37000 miles on it before I got rid of it. It was already on it's way for the DexCool problems.

We now own a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. Great vehicle and reliable so far.

In a word, avoid 90's Chevy trucks. I personally don't think it worth the gamble.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
98 V8 explorer ....gt40 302 motor :D

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
friend has a 95 blazer. 160,000 miles on it. doesnt burn oil, tranny shifts like new. Only problem I know is a sensor went bad and he couldnt stop, and had to replace the EGR 2 times in 3 yrs. Other than that, I say its a pretty solid SUV, mpg sucks though, but its an suv i guess

oh ya, he drives from chicago to NMU about 10times a year and it has never failed on him. (goes to college there but comes home every so often)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
How about a Bronco? You can get a mid 90's for what you want to spend, plus the advantage of the 5.0 motor. Parts are easy to get and not to hard to work on. Mabe you can find one with the 351 in it? My buddy's '94 gets about 19-22mpg on the highway. I like them much more than the Explorer. Just old school I guess.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Broncos are the best. Tough and reliable. The Blazers just suck, last good ones were the K-5s everything since then :thumbsd: If you want something good for under $4000 grab a Bronco or older Explorer with the 5.0.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never been a bronco fan really. Kinda ugly.

I am looking now mainly at a jimmy, explorer, or moutaineer. Finding one at a resonable price is rather dificult though...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Shawn40th said:
I heard the early Blazers had many problems. Just make sure to see what work might have been done. I think mostly what I heard was brakes which get replaced anyways. Check www.alldata.com for what kind of things to look for in each vehicle.
A couple friends in college had explorers and loved them.

good luck,
-Shawn
and fords don't have problems? :crazy:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
one of my co workers has a nice unrotted 1993 bronco with a 351 he wants 4 grand for

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
NUHBOY4.6 said:

I didn't say that at all in my post (even though you aren't responding to it). I can only post what experiences I have had and they have been with GM S body vehicles. Nothing made up. If you do a search on 4L60E on Google Groups you will see a lot of people that have a lot of problems with that tranny.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
NUHBOY4.6 said:
Didn't say they don't have problems. I have just heard about the blazer having major issues and I personally don't know about the 90s explorers.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I had a 80's blazer for all of a week before the master cylinder went out, the carb (or maybe it was TBI, don't quite remember) broke and something fried most of the electrical stuff.

·
Registered
521 Posts
im just saying that any mid 90's suv is going to have its share of "common problems". im not doubting some people have had problems with blazer trannies. im sure if we all wanted to look we could find an endless amount ***** columns about ford suvs. if he wants to buy an suv from the 90's, it should more or less be on what he thinks looks, rides, or feels better. im sorry if i have offended anyone but most domestic products are equaly worthless, and my blood does not flow ford blue. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts