TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
Don't get me wrong, my blood doesn't flow Ford blue either. I just wanted to point out the notorious transmission problems with the 90's 4L60E and 4L80E that I discovered far too late. Those transmissions had some serisous design flaws from what I read. If he can find a Jimmy or Blazer that has had both the transmission fixed and the cooling system fixed then he should be good to go. As long as the valve body was fixed/corrrected from it's design flaws and the cooling system has been flushed and/or replaced and is not using Dexcool it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Everything from the 80s up has problems after electronics started taking over. They did have the advantag of better mileage and more power from smaller engines. The only one that didnt have problem like the other was the Bronco. But it looks and rides like a tank. That was it was built as, only came in 4x4. Alot of people dont like them because of that. Though I love them. The new SUVs are designed to be more comfortable and when you compromise on designs there are gonna be problems. Im not pure Ford either Ive owned two Chryslers. Just by what you like and want to drive.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Fubarian said:
98 V8 explorer ....gt40 302 motor :D

Amen.

My friend mother owns a 93 Blazer, I think it's a 93.. I know its a 90's Blazer, If I had three hands I couldn't count all the things that went wrong with it, and he is a Ford Tech, and they bought it brand new. Off the top of my head, there are electrical problems like whoa, neither of the power seats work, The back Latch you twist to open the tailgate or window cracked right off, Armrest door broke right the **** off, it's just a really put together ****ty truck...I'm not even talking about all the things that went as far as the motor, and the trans according to him is a ticking time bomb. Thing also gives you a damn headache because off all the rattles and what not, especially the famous S10 Blazer squeeking back window, it's enough to make you shoot yourself. I take comfort in knowing that the Trans in my Explorer, and the motor, are reliable in other Ford vehicles as well and have a good reputation... I owned one GM in my life, and it was the worst car I ever owned, never again.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I think thats about the same thing that turned me off of GMC. My parents bought an RV with the GM chassis. I think it was back in 96(?) we were goin through Wisconsin on our way to Minnesota when the tranny grenaded in the middle of Wisconsin. The flattest place on the map. :confused: And talk about an expensive job.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
broncos are tanks becasue they are built on a 1/2 ton truck frame, where as the the smaller ones are ranger type, 1/4 ton . and they try to make them too car like. but yea v8 explorers rock

·
Registered
522 Posts
I miss my 76 Ramcharger. 440 and put pretty much every Bronco that ran against me to shame. Of course it had factory Danas under it, but the 727A tranny sure wasn't much fun. Glad go a C6 and put under it.

The Blazer or Jimmy with the 4.3 becareful of the fuel delivery in them. Bad problem with the 1 injector fouling out.

Explorers, I think are way over rated for the little hp they have and gas mileage is terrible if you run over 55 mph for a vehicle from the 90's. That is in reference to the 4.0L. If you get the 4.0 make sure to have it checked over very carefully expecially if it has 100k on it. I can't remember the specifics but there was an issue with the timing belt sensor or a particular plastic piece under the cover.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts