TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing talk about an svt tbird. Was there such a thing. If so, where could I find more info on it? I have seen pics of tbirds with svt badges but thought that was just custom things.
And the pick in the forum topic http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3901 had one but they said it was a custom car. I noticed also it looked to be a 96-97 cause of the bumbers but it didn't have a red door handle.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
for the 97 model year, ford made 4 SVT thunderbirds with a supercharged 4.6l v8 and the cobra rims (which are now known as the svt thunderbird rims). three were destroyed and only 1 remains. there are a couple true clones out there that have a supercharged v8 and the rims and body cladding.. alex baynard has a 92(93?) bird that he converted to 97 body panels, svt thunderbird rims, cobra R hood, and supercharged v8..

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
One day, I hope to see the remaining car. I know how to find it, but whether or not it'll happen is still in the air.

I have a pretty good idea where it is though. :D

BTW.....don't ask.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
8ate8 said:
for the 97 model year, ford made 4 SVT thunderbirds with a supercharged 4.6l v8 and the cobra rims (which are now known as the svt thunderbird rims). three were destroyed and only 1 remains. there are a couple true clones out there that have a supercharged v8 and the rims and body cladding.. alex baynard has a 92(93?) bird that he converted to 97 body panels, svt thunderbird rims, cobra R hood, and supercharged v8..
Doesn't quite have the SVT front clip though, no fog lamp holders.

And the prototypes were 95's with the new body cladding, supposed to be released in mid 96, then got pushed back to the 97 model year, then deleted when the MN12 got the axe. *sigh*

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
its a 95 with some 96 body stuff and the SVE prototype did not have a supercharger

and its SVE not SVT Special Vehicle Engineering. it never went into production hence never getting into the SVTeam

some pics of the real SVE tbird and alex' bird.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that much about those, my goal and direction with my car pretty much matches exactly what the SVT Bird was. Except I am not abandoning the 94/95 bodywork. Thats the hood I was planning on covering my supercharger with and everything, I was even planning on a roots or screw supercharger when I eventually get that far. Someone at Ford was a genious, I would have bought that :). Someone else at Ford was not so much of a genious for killing it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

Doesn't quite have the SVT front clip though, no fog lamp holders.

i never said SVT front clip.. :) what i meant by 'there are some svt clones out there with the body cladding' was that they have the 96/97 front clip, etc.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I asked about this once, I forgot about the one in existance. But I reckon it's a secret or else we'd all know. But damn I'd like to see it, and know who has it, and how they got it, and what they're doing with it....someday maybe we'll all know.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sir William,
Out of curosity do you think the car is in private hands, or a museum and institutions such as that?

I was trying to figure out how a car with no VIN number could make its way into private hands. Just in case I come across the car (always checking the classifides of the 4 surrounding states, just in case.) :)

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
The SVT T-Bird scandal

Ford did build them. I don't know how many to be exact but, I had heard that there are only like two left in the world. The SVT T-Bird was built as a concept car just before the unveiling of the 2002 "Retro" T-Bird. Due to an overwhelming response to the "NEW" design the SVT project was scrapped.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: The SVT T-Bird scandal

kdgaydos said:
Ford did build them. I don't know how many to be exact but, I had heard that there are only like two left in the world. The SVT T-Bird was built as a concept car just before the unveiling of the 2002 "Retro" T-Bird. Due to an overwhelming response to the "NEW" design the SVT project was scrapped.
Again as stated elsewhere in this thread.. the prototypes were made in 95, quite a few years before the new retro bird was unveiled, and by SVE, not SVT, also stated a few times in this thread. It would have become an SVT had it entered production, however, it did not.

1995 Motor Trend article
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/clipings/thunder.jpg

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
whos got it?? thats an easy question, the answer is John Colletti, head of SVT.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: Re: The SVT T-Bird scandal

ShadowDragon said:

Again as stated elsewhere in this thread.. the prototypes were made in 95, quite a few years before the new retro bird was unveiled, and by SVE, not SVT, also stated a few times in this thread. It would have become an SVT had it entered production, however, it did not.

1995 Motor Trend article
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/clipings/thunder.jpg
I'm not saying either of you are wrong, but just because they made it in 95 doesn't mean they didn't already have the new '02 Bird plans drawn up, manufacturers start FAR ahead of time, FARTHER then even we hear about.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The SVT T-Bird scandal

okcbird said:

I'm not saying either of you are wrong, but just because they made it in 95 doesn't mean they didn't already have the new '02 Bird plans drawn up, manufacturers start FAR ahead of time, FARTHER then even we hear about.
plans for the 02 bird didnt start til after the announcement that the bird was not going to be around for a 98 model. so they did NOT have the retro bird idea when they had the SVE bird.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The SVT T-Bird scandal

okcbird said:

Originally posted by kdgaydos
The SVT T-Bird was built as a concept car just before the unveiling of the 2002 "Retro" T-Bird. Due to an overwhelming response to the "NEW" design the SVT project was scrapped.
one reply to both of these.. the prototype 'new bird' wasn't revealed to the public until 1999. of course, drawings, and models, and whatnot had to be made way before that, but you (kdgaydos) state there was an overwhelming response... response by who?? the public never even saw it until 1999, which was 3 years after they canceled the MN12 project (1996 was last production year. 1997 was last model year). so they couldn't have canceled the concept SVT (SVE.. whatever) Thunderbird for that reason.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
This isn't to be taken offensively at all.

But do either of you work for Ford? If not, then how do you know when they 'actually' started work on the '02 Bird?

You could be right, but I'm thinking not, they were probably working on some of it before they even got rid of the MN12, you think they'd announce the release of an '02 model of such different taste while announcing they were killing the current one at the same time, probably not, wouldn't be good marketing.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
okcbird said:
This isn't to be taken offensively at all.

But do either of you work for Ford? If not, then how do you know when they 'actually' started work on the '02 Bird?

You could be right, but I'm thinking not, they were probably working on some of it before they even got rid of the MN12, you think they'd announce the release of an '02 model of such different taste while announcing they were killing the current one at the same time, probably not, wouldn't be good marketing.
ShadowDragon said:
the prototypes were made in 95, quite a few years before the new retro bird was unveiled,
Unveiled, not sketched...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i don't know when they started working on the new bird. but the prototype was released to the public in '99, so i was just stating that an 'overwhelming response of the new bird' wasn't the reason the svt was canceled.

all in all, it was never made and we'll never own a real one :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8ate8 said:
i don't know when they started working on the new bird. but the prototype was released to the public in '99, so i was just stating that an 'overwhelming response of the new bird' wasn't the reason the svt was canceled.

all in all, it was never made and we'll never own a real one :(
Companies do it all the time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts