TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I swap out the one way roller clutch in my 96 trans for the later reverse drum/mechanical diode? Is this a straight R&R or does this require other modification?

Thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darrin said:
If you know what you are doing, its a straight R&R.
Darrin
I don't know what I am doing. So I will study my 4R70W manuals and if I think I can do this, I'll try. How much disassembly is required?

Thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Not much really. You have to pull the valve body and the overdrive servo. You have to pull the pump. You have to take out the reverse band and the reverse drum. Then you swap everything inside the reerse drum into the new one and reverse the procedure.
Darrin

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darrin said:
Not much really. You have to pull the valve body and the overdrive servo. You have to pull the pump. You have to take out the reverse band and the reverse drum. Then you swap everything inside the reerse drum into the new one and reverse the procedure.
Darrin
This sounds do-able for me. I'll research this. Tell me though, is this a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Matt,
I would say that it is worth doing the mechanical diode upgrade and replacing the accumulators with the new style while he is in there. I would definitely replace the stock 12in torque converter and flexplate with an 11.25in setup at the very least.
Put that all together and it is very well worth it if the rest of the transmission is in decent shape and the rest of the car isn't very modified.
Darrin

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I wouldn't start his project without the 98 intermediate clutch setup and a good overdrive band. Make sure you have the large od servo while you are taking it out as well.
Alan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yeah, keep going and we will have him building a new transmission. LOL
But even to just get rid of the roller clutch its still worth it if you have the transmission out for some other reason. I don't know that I would pull the tranny just for that though.
Darrin

·
Registered
680 Posts
If I'm going to pull the tranny, it aint going to be for a temorary item, that's just me though.

If I pull it, I'm doing it as few times as possible. (atleast 5 times now)

It's almost better to buy a newer trans, and make a few upgrades, then you have a straight swap out.

Sell the older trans.

I completely overhauled mine, with all of the 450+hp upgrades, and the the parts alone completely surpass the price of new reman trans, never mind a low mileage salvage that needs 1/5th the parts. That's not counting the newer VB or the TC, etc.

I could have bought 2 T-56's by now :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. The trans is in good shape, has the updated accumulators, modified 99 GT main control and large OD servo. I will be pulling the trans to swap in a Marauder converter. I already have the drum/mechanical diode so while I have the unit out, if it is not too much, then I may as well install this too. The question is, what should I have on hand to replace what I might find worn?

Mitch

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I could do it in about 15 minutes, but I have and know what tools to use.
The intermediate clutch parts really are a darn good idea too.
Darrin

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darrin said:
I could do it in about 15 minutes, but I have and know what tools to use.
The intermediate clutch parts really are a darn good idea too.
Darrin
Do I need to have specialized tools to do this?

Mitch

·
Registered
790 Posts
IMHO, it isn't worth opening a trans without going ahead and cleaning and inspecting the rest...but that is me, and I am sure Darrin and Alan would feel the same. AT THAT point it is worthwhile....but if you don't plan on doing ANYTHING else besides this part upgrade...you are wasting energy and might as well wait till your current diode fails - they don't do that much damage :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yeah, they only spew a bunch of shrapnel through the rest of the transmission and possibly even the torque converter and often tear up the front pump. But its not that bad if you plan to completely rebuild it. I have oh so many of these laying around and can show you pics that will make you cringe.
Don't wait unitl that happens unless you plan on replacing the transmission.
Darrin

·
Registered
790 Posts
It was a joke...but still....you might want to save up and think about more possible upgrades while you are in there. Hate to see a guy go through that much work for a simple part - though important - still not any more difficult to the rest of the simple upgrades as well.

I personaly have never seen carnage of a roller didoe explode WITH EXCEPTION of the snapring flying off. Never seen one break due to stress. The snapring is a biggie.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No can do - there is no decent shape 4r70w in Europe and shipping from US will cost twice as much as tranny itself

I just want to do 3 things since i will take the tranny out of the car - Mechanical diode, Jmod and 96+ oilpan, plus of course replacing stuff that died, probably forward clutch + tq regeneration

1 - 20 of 21 Posts