TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Oh okay.... That is a nice vehicle. Are you in the west part of the state? I'm on the Illinois state line.
What year is your Cougar? and the Engine?
Could I lean on you a little if needed?

Thank you for your help.

What did you do with IMRC's?
I have stock gears in axle and no plans of a super charger at this time.

Hi Race Cougar-
Hoping to see the K-Brace issue with 96 DOHC oil pan clearance, EGR in back of Engine, Exhaust clearance.
I have the header from SC performance for Mark 8, extra wiring harness so I can prep without striping out the one in car.
Trying to gleam information from those who went before me to avoid wasted time.
There’s just as much room at the back of the engine as the SOHC, I have EGR on my C head DOHC but fitment varies since the tube routing and valve location on the manifold vary depending on what flavor of 4V you’re using, you can’t use Mustang EGR tubes with kooks headers for example which means if you’re running a Cobra intake you either need a tube fabricated or the bung relocated from the passenger side header to the driver side

Oh okay.... That is a nice vehicle. Are you in the west part of the state? I'm on the Illinois state line.
What year is your Cougar? and the Engine?
Could I lean on you a little if needed?

Thank you for your help.
I'm just south of St. Louis. There are a number of us in the area.

It's a '90 XR7 with a Teksid-based/B-head 298ci stroker (3.75" stroke). That engine started out as a N.O.S. '94 Mark VIII engine that I swapped into the car back in '02-'05.

Happy to answer questions here as they pop up.

What did you do with IMRC's?
I have stock gears in axle and no plans of a super charger at this time.
I used a MSD rpm switch to control the IMRC's for the year that I ran the engine NA. I deleted the IMRC's when I installed the blower.

I'd highly recommend stepping up to at least a 3.73 gear. It'll be a pooch with 3.08's or 3.27's.

Hi Rod-
I'm at the IMRC issue with Vac/Elec actuated solenoid and have read many posting to include yours and what I cannot seem to find the voltage perimeters to send to the IMRC via a RPM activated switch. Can you provide some of the missing details?
I have the Intellitronix RPM switch and I understand I need a relay and resistor to step down the volts but I cannot seem to find the recommended voltage so I can purchase the correct resistor. What voltage is needed? There are 3 wires coming from both IRMC solenoids- red, black and green- I assume green is the feedback wire to the ECM.

Will one RPM operate the 2 IMRC's?
Thank you
Larry

It's been almost twenty years since I did this, so apologies if it's incorrect. From what I recall, I used a MSD RPM-activated switch to trigger a typical 30A automotive relay to close the ground side of the IMRC vacuum solenoid circuit. That vacuum solenoid ports vacuum to the actuators on each IMRC.

Oh okay- I had contacted 5 star tuning out of South Carolina about a tune and they told me to call back after I got it running before ordering a tune . Do you have a preference to recommend?

I initially was speaking about starting the engine on stock ECM

The stock 2V program will allow the 4V to start, though fueling will be a fair bit off due to the larger injectors. You can test fire the engine on the stock tune, but I'd advise against running it for any length of time before correcting the tune file.

Gents-

The engine is in and I'm planning on starting it this coming weekend: I asked in a previous post if either of you had a recommendation on the programing/tune hardware and program and neither replied. I assumed that Lonnie is the preferred choice but I believe he is no longer providing tunes.... so it was recommended through more research that the SCT4 is a good choice. Can you help fill in any missing information I should consider? I'm getting a little more excited.
Thank you

so it was recommended through more research that the SCT4 is a good choice. Can you help fill in any missing information I should consider? I'm getting a little more excited.
Thank you View attachment 45294

I would recommend you to buy a SCTX4 and go to LaSota Racing Technologies. (y)

I didn't reply with a suggestion because I do not have one. I've done my own tuning on my vehicles for the past fifteen years or so.

Yeah, I think most of us die hards all bought the prp, and do our own stuff. I bet I wrote a hundred tunes getting the shift schedule just right.

Lonnies tunes leave a lot to be desired; Don Lasota wrote the book. :)

I would look on ebay for an unlocked xcal2; that's what I use.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.