TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big cat is getting a new powerplant next summer...and I had just figured that an '02 Explorer swap would be the best and easiest swap. But just looking on Greenleaf today, I'm able to find a 32v Mark motor a bit cheaper. I know from reading posts from 4 Cam Bird and the others that it is a bit more involved than the Explorer swap.

Now, my plans for my car. When I do the engine swap, I will throw in a Mark TC as well as I will have the engine out of the car. I will be N/A for at least until my senior/5th year summer in 2006. No real big plans besides that, maybe a gear change, but aside from that I'm only looking at bolt ons.

I know that the Explorer swap is easier, and the motor would have less miles on it, and it's an aluminum block, but should I take a harder look at the DOHC swap?

I will have plenty of time to complete the swap, so that isn't an issue. I'm hoping to get the engine for $800-1100, nothing more if possible.

Any thoughts?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I was thinking...and the engine I'm looking at only has 6.5k miles on it from an '02 Mountaineer.

Should be a good upgrade from a reliability standpoint as well.

Now will my upcoming Steeda pullies work on the Mountaineer mill as well? If not I can always just sell them of course...

I really can't wait to do this project. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. Assuming I have just about everything that I need, could I reasonably expect to do this over my Christmas break (Dec. 12th-Jan 5th) or should I wait until my summer break when I will have more time definitely?

I guess if it didn't completely finish I could get around for another couple of weeks if necessary!

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if I go ahead and do my Mark Converter swap in the next few months, I can use the converter and Mark flexplate with the Explorer engine, as it has a 6 bolt crank, right?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Uh, .... you need to check carefully as there are a lotta diff 6 and 8 bolt combinations out there and I get confused myself...first verify 6 bolt crank.... then get flex plate for mk VIII t/c,& 6 bolt or 8 bolt as the case may be... LOL

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the Explorer uses a six bolt crank, and if it won't bolt up for some unknown reason, a new flexplate is pretty cheap, so no big deal there. Thanks timb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts