TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3.8 V6 Swap?

I have a rather large project ahead and would like to know the best yet easiest engine swap out there for the 3.8 Lx I have reasonable automotive experience.:D

<i> edited title for better exposure- JH </i>

·
8,239 Posts
Well,

If you are going to do a V8 swap, then you really need a v8 donor car. Its more than just the engine. If you don't have an 8.8 rear end, then you will want one.

Alot of the v6 guys are going to 4.2 truck motors or late model mustang 3.8's. Both are a good swap and they make "decent" power.

JH

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Well I'd say since you have reasonable automotive experience, you should consider a single port 4.2 swap. All you'd need is a 4.2 engine, 01+ mustang oil pan, and a 4.2 flexplate (and some minor things) and then just swap your single port heads and intakes over from your old engine. I'd like to think you could expect a 40hp increase or so. Of course you'd want to consider upgrading to 8.8 rear diff and bigger half shafts, along with the possibility of making the tranny a bit stronger. But non of that is necessary, just recommended.
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
Well if you wanted to you could upgrade to supercoupe heads. They're much better quality. And you could also use 4.2 head gaskets, which are better.
-Thomas

·
Administrator
8,114 Posts
DirtyByrd said:
aren't they the same as the LX
Basically the same but they have more meat to them than the standard 3.8 head to help handle the boost. You won't gain anything performance wise with the SC head.

Joe

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
Look at this thread for info on the differences between the N/A and SC head designs. I posted two pics, the first shows the pre-98 N/A head design, and the second pic shows the design shared by the SC, 98 N/A, and the 99+ splitports.

-Rod

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I can just put some 98 heads in my car and that will semi cure my prob until funds are there for new engine. But do the heads come from the LX or SC :bangwall:

·
8,978 Posts
98 heads won't be from a t-bird since they weren't made that year. They'll be Mustang heads. So you can either get 89-95 sc heads or 98 mustang heads. That'll pretty much take care of your headgasket problem. But never completely.
-Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
Yes, 98 3.8L N/A or 89-95 SC heads will bolt right in without any problems.

-Rod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts