TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on replacing my engine with a super charged 3.8. The doner car has front end damage and is an automatic car. So what else do I need to switch out other than the engine, tranny, wire harness and computer? My car is a 91 Cougar.

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
Instrument cluster. The affected wiring at the cluster (pinouts are different).

Is the 91 a XR7 or a LS?

RwP

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
What about rear axle - don't the NA V6's come with the smaller 7.5 instead of the 8.8?

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
That they do! :)

Although depending on the config of the SC, it might have a shorter gear. The N/A 3.8s I think all got 3.27s - you can tell using the "axle" code on the door jamb sticker, and reference the tech articles for the code. TCCoA Tech Articles

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
The early NA v6 cars got the 7.5 diff, unless they had abs. All MN12s with the Teves ABS system also got the 8.8 diff. All AOD equipped SCs also got 3.27 gears, so if the OP’s car has ABS, he can leave the diff alone, but if it has conventional brakes, then that will have to be swapped as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The early NA v6 cars got the 7.5 diff, unless they had abs. All MN12s with the Teves ABS system also got the 8.8 diff. All AOD equipped SCs also got 3.27 gears, so if the OP’s car has ABS, he can leave the diff alone, but if it has conventional brakes, then that will have to be swapped as well.
I do realize the diff and brakes are different, I was more concerned with making the sc engine work in my Cougar. The mechanical stuff I have no problem with, its the computer and electronics that I have problems with.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
Swap over the dash harness, engine harness, EEC harness and the engine compartment(fusebox) harness. Those together will plug and play into the main body harness of your Cougar. Are you getting the parts from a junkyard or do you have the SC as a parts car? If the latter just swap everything that unbolts/unclips over.

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
What Matt (XR7-4.6) said.

EDIT: Also, consider getting a Quarterhorse so that you can tweak the ECU as necessary to run it like you want. Or not; but I'm using one in the ECU going into my 1991 Cougar as I rebuild the motor and building up a 4R70W to use with my 5.0HO (5.4HO? Considering a 331ci stroker kit for it ... )

RwP

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your guys' input. Good luck RalphP with that build and computer update for your Cougar. It's been over 10 years since I built my engine for my Cougar, and to this day I can't get it to run worth the money I stuck into the engine. I had 2 different chip builders customize a chip for it and still can't get it to run right. So that is why i am wanting to put a motor from a super coupe in it.
Curt.

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
Start with finding a competent tuner. We're lucky, there's more than one.

I'll be working with decipha from down in Baton Rouge (New Orleans?) area; he's a Louisiana boy like I am!

That's why the Quarterhorse - I MAY get a Jaybird and burn a chip when I'm settled.

He likes TunerProRT for software, which is a nice price (free!) but Binary Editor is used by a lot of others.

Either case, you can take a good hard look at the status of the ECU with the Quarterhorse and a laptop; and you can find laptops cheap enough on Tanga and at TigerDirect amongst other places.

RwP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts