TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i juste picked up a full complete 96 4.6l with auto trans for a steal of a price. anyway i am putting this into a 95 so what kinds of things do i need to be on the look out for. i know this has been discussed, but it always sounds like a pi swap. i am actually just swapping the original for origanl.. i just get the upgraded intake setup and can change them for pi later.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I believe you need to use your fuel rails, intake, throttle body, throttle cable, and timing cover. Basically just swap everything from your engine onto the new engine and you should be good to go.
If I am understanding him correctly, he wants to use the '96 parts. If that is the case you will want to use everything off of the '96. For the wiring harness it will probably be easier to lengthen the '95 wires rather than converting the IMRC(?). Also, the fuel lines will not line up just right. You will need the lines (from the fuel rail down to the fuel filter) off of a 96/97. I also recall seeing some posts where some people used Crown Vic fuel rails flipped around and it lined up with the '94/'95 fuel lines.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I am not sure exactly what the differences are. If you want to use the '95 EEC and harness you can just splice the connectors from the '96 harness onto the '95 harness.
Ford also changed some of the connectors even though the electronics are the same. I don't recall which ones are different because I did my '02 Explorer swap two years ago. Just look at each plug. If they are the same connector and it reaches where it needs to go... no problem. If the connectors are different or the wires are not long enough just splice as needed.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
dont forget you need the 96-97 hood to clear the intake

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
oh yea the plenum is the issue if you go larger nevermind

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
why not go PI?

·
5,650 Posts
If I am understanding him correctly, he wants to use the '96 parts. If that is the case you will want to use everything off of the '96. For the wiring harness it will probably be easier to lengthen the '95 wires rather than converting the IMRC(?). Also, the fuel lines will not line up just right. You will need the lines (from the fuel rail down to the fuel filter) off of a 96/97. I also recall seeing some posts where some people used Crown Vic fuel rails flipped around and it lined up with the '94/'95 fuel lines.
The IMRC is applicable to the DOHC motor which he didn't say he had. But yeah other than that what he said plus the intake tube (from housing to throttle body) and all the lines/components to the IAC.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
AOD Trans? The AOD doesnt bolt up to the 4.6....... Unless u pulled the trans out of the 96, then its the 4r70w.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The IMRC is applicable to the DOHC motor which he didn't say he had...
Thanks for clearing that up. Isn't there something about the '96/97's that was integrated into the EEC that changed the wiring?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you make the 96 work, a PI swap will be cake later on. Hopefully you got the intake and fuel rails with your engine. Most if not all the PI swap info will apply to putting a 96 into a 95. The MLPS and TCC solenoid may need to be swapped for the transmission.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh i got it all baby!!!! i went to the junk yard and pulled it out myself. ther was nothing left behind. i recomend Pick-n-pull guys due to their generic pricing. i got the complete motor with all accessories and the trans still hooked up to it for 283.00 cant shake a stick at that. oh and they only have 86000 miles

·
5,650 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Isn't there something about the '96/97's that was integrated into the EEC that changed the wiring?
Yeah the ignition control module. Ah, you were probably thinking ICM maybe? This is also called the EDIS module that sits by the MAF sensor. After 95, the spark control functions were integrated into the PCM and this extra component was done away with.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yeah the ignition control module. Ah, you were probably thinking ICM maybe? This is also called the EDIS module that sits by the MAF sensor. After 95, the spark control functions were integrated into the PCM and this extra component was done away with.
Thank you. I knew I read something like that somewhere.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.