TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 LE and my first car ever was a 92 sport 5.0. I grew real attached to the old style gauge, and hate the new ones. is there any way to swap it out for a pre 97 cluster?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
settle for a 94~96 cluster, or sell the car and buy an 89~93...

I like my '97 the way it is.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Put in a Gen II SHO cluster. Its a pretty easy swap, and it gives you a 150 MPH speedo. Then you can have Scott make a set of custom gauge faces for it. (Well, actually he can make a set of faces for ANY T-bird cluster)

I have heard of folks putting 94-96 style clusters in 97's however. It shouldn't be too different than the 92 style. You'd need to get a cluster (duh) and a new trim panel to go around it (the one with the AC vent and the rear defroster switch in it). The 94-96 had a different shape to it than the 97's.

By the way, what color is your LE's interior? I may have some floormats for sale if you don't have a set already.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Leer5000 said:
so the 94-96 will work? is it a direct swap from say a 95 SC?
94-96 cluster into a 97 has been discussed to death. try searching and you'll find some posts describing what you need to do. I don't think the wiring is plug and play you'll have to wire it up correctly. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The 1997 Limited Edition T-Birds came from the dealer with the Limited Edition emblem (like is on the fender) embroidered on them. I can get some pics of them tomorrow if you'd like. Right now the car is under a tarp, and the tarp is under ice.

And I think the 95 SC cluster will work in your car, however your better off finding a 94-96 LX cluster as it is easier to put an SC speedo in an LX cluster than it is to replace the boost gauge in an SC cluster with whatever belongs in there.

I.E. The speedo is an easy swap (one speedo for another) but the boost gauge in an SC cluster (which is worthless in an LX) would need to be replaced with either an oil pressure gauge or a voltmeter (I really don't know what goes in that slot in an LX) and that requres extra rewiring.

As you know, the 97 has limited gauges (speedo, tach, fuel and temp). The 94-96 clusters have that plus oil pressure and voltmeter (I think). So you'd need to do some wiring to get the correct signal to those two extra gauges. I don't think its hard, just do some searching as Southpaw suggests and you'll find other threads on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. i do have the LE floormats i just wanted to make sure you werent trying to sell me some LX floormats or something. thanks for everyones help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts