TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

Searched the forums several ways but nothing came up on this question.

I've got a 96 TBird Sport to do some upgrades on, but downtime is a problem. I'll have to get all the new goodies (brakes, raxles, braces, driveshaft, etc) together ahead of time, including a spare rear sub-frame to get boxed-up in advance.

Question: what rear sub-frames will fit this '96? Are there differences between the V6 & V8 cars? Would a SC sub-frame fit? What years should I be looking for? Any particularly good years to search out? Any notably bad years to avoid?

Go ahead, make my day by telling me all MN12's used the same rear sub-frame and they are totally interchangeable (but only if it's true!).

Thanks in advance,

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
They all used the same one. So, find yourself the one with the least rusted bolts holding it up. Or, take a torch to the junkyark and just cut out the rails where the subframe attaches and just worry about the bolts when you get home. That is problaby the best way. Those bolts get locked in there big time. They are a PITA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
...Those bolts get locked in there big time. They are a PITA.

That's for sure.... and no easy way to get 'em covered with PB Blaster either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

The only parts cars available in the local wrecking yards are a red 91 Cougar and a blue 93 Bird, both V6 cars. I'm presuming that the smaller pumpkin wouldn't be worth much, at least not to me anyway, but if we use the hot wrench to get the rear subframe out, I'd probably elect to try to dicker on the price for the whole works including control arms, springs, yada, yada, just for the spare parts.

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the bare subframe would sell for, and how much more would I likely be looking at for the loaded subframe with all the goodies on it? Also, would the spare parts from a loaded V6 subframe work interchangeably on a V8 car (other than the diff assy)?

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
 

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
The springs are different on a V-6 car. One junkyard I was at had the whole subframe removed from the car and sitting on top of a trailer house I believe. That would make your life easiest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
I sold the '91 SC subframe I had for $375 delivered about 4 hours away. It was less the springs and rotors. It was structually sound but rusty, nothing a little sandblasting and POR-15 wouldn't handle.

Have you checked with racecougar? He's usually got several cars around and is good to deal with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cougarman,

Where are you in MI, and what would you want for it? Reason I ask is that my folks in Allendale (just W of Grand Rapids) have a minivan and are planning to drive out to Cheyenne later this month. Don't know if they would care to lug it along in the back (or if it would even fit in the minivan) but it's interesting to consider.

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Larry W7LES said:
Cougarman,

Where are you in MI, and what would you want for it? Reason I ask is that my folks in Allendale (just W of Grand Rapids) have a minivan and are planning to drive out to Cheyenne later this month. Don't know if they would care to lug it along in the back (or if it would even fit in the minivan) but it's interesting to consider.

Larry W7LES in Cheyenne
You have a pm. :D
 

·
The Parts Guy
Joined
·
7,359 Posts
doodaa said:
Have you checked with racecougar? He's usually got several cars around and is good to deal with.
Thanks for the recommendation doodaa.

I have a complete rear subframe assembly from a 97 for $300 plus shipping. It includes the rear subframe, 8.8" centersection with 3.27's and Trac-Loc, halfshafts, knuckles, and upper and lower control arms. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

-Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I have bought several from our self service yards out here for $125 the price of a disc brake rear end. got to love Pick n Pull. The Factory 5 Cobra guys want these rears for their kit cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Larry W7LES said:

Anyone want to hazard a guess what the bare subframe would sell for, and how much more would I likely be looking at for the loaded subframe with all the goodies on it? \
There was a guy out here a couple months ago selling a complete subframe out of an SC for $175. Don't know if he ever got rid of it.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top