TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Lower-Ball-Joint-THUNDERBIRD-MARK-SERIES-COUGAR-89-98-/130478945010?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Make%3AFord|Model%3AThunderbird&hash=item1e6126b2f2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SWAY-BAR-Link-Ford-Thunderbird-Cougar-Mark-VIII-93-98-/140513605317?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997|Make%3AFord|Model%3AThunderbird&hash=item20b74376c5&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
World Suspension are cheapies, but they work! Kinda nice they come with zerk fittings so you can keep them greased.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Buy a complete lower control arm, stay away from the ebay stuff. Do a search, more people have had problems with it.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Buy a complete lower control arm, stay away from the ebay stuff. Do a search, more people have had problems with it.

Joe
I replaced my lowers without the arms, but I got them off rockauto (they're only about $10 apiece). I don't remember what brand they were, but at that price I'm sure they are cheapies.

I'm not questioning anybody's ability, but you have to press those in correctly. An experienced, competent shop is HIGHLY recommended.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have to press the ball joints in or the whole arm? ive actually replaced both ball joints on my 96 tbird.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
Run faster than you've ever run before from those ebay suspension parts. Do a couple searches, the nightmarish stories are plentiful. The ball joints themselves are pressed into the LCA, it's usually preferred to replace the entire arm because you get all new bushings with it as well.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Run faster than you've ever run before from those ebay suspension parts. Do a couple searches, the nightmarish stories are plentiful. The ball joints themselves are pressed into the LCA, it's usually preferred to replace the entire arm because you get all new bushings with it as well.
LCA is lower control arm, and like Brandon said, the lower ball joints are pressed into the arm.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i know that you have to press the ball joint in ive done so on both sides of my 96 tbird. what about the LCA how hard is it to install? do you have to press any thing in or do you just unbolt and bolt on?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are good brands?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
yes i know that you have to press the ball joint in ive done so on both sides of my 96 tbird. what about the LCA how hard is it to install? do you have to press any thing in or do you just unbolt and bolt on?
Nope, all nuts & bolts to change the whole LCA (except maybe a ball joint separator).

what are good brands?
Good Brands? Moog & Motorcraft. Rockauto has them for about $50.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok guys so i bought some moog sway bar links and in the procces of finding some moog LCA's for the right price

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
FWIW it might be worth the extra $40 or so to also replace the LCA side strut rod bushings since everything will be apart.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
well guys i got the swaybar links in and well there not moog they are quicksteer never heard of them. ive contacted the seller and he hasn't got back to me. but thats another story.
should i install these. i know with out a doubt my sway bars links shot no ruber what so ever and diffently clunking around. what do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Did you get them off ebay? I wouldn't install them. Give him 3-5 days to respond, then file a claim with paypal.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep sure did. dont get on me to much

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
Well I can't fault you too much, you say they were advertised as Moogs which they apparently aren't.

The endlinks aren't critical, in fact you could remove them altogether and still be able to drive the car. You would just have to be careful and take corners more slowly.

If your ebay seller never responds and you get your money back from paypal, go ahead and use them. But in the event he does respond, he'll probably ask that they be sent back, so hold off on installing them until you know what's going down.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill keep y'all in formed and thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
MN12s don't have struts. Shocks all around.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmmm really? I thought a strut was a shock that actually supports the weight of the vehicle and has the spring attached to itwhere as a shock is separate of the spring and only dampens the up and down movements? or am i wrong lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts