TCCoA Forums banner

Swaybar grease

778 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Raybird 
#1 ·
Got a question. Where do you grease the swaybar bushings? Between the bushing and the bar or between the bushing and the retaining cap?
I'm thinking at the cap. I have new Addco bars with black bushings. These are rubber arn't they? They sent small amount of red grease, but no directions. I have read about the greaseable caps, but , shouldn't it get lube between the bushing and the bar also?
Mark said CRC makes a graphite grease, Have not seen any. Where can it be bought. I have seen sprayable graphite lube, this isn't what he is talking about is it?

#2 ·
The grease goes between the bushing and the bar. There is no need for any grease between the bushing and the cap. The bushings that come with ADDCO bars should all be polyurethane bushings.

-Rod

#6 ·
I have Prothane poly bushings in my Fiero. While it looks like dielectric (spark plug boot) grease, the stuff Prothane sends is a really sticky, thick, nasty grease, that is near impossible to get off of your hands, or anything else it touches.

Since even that stuff wears away eventually, I drilled a hole all the way through the sway bar bushings, to the bar itself, and threaded a grease fitting into the metal strap that holds it in place. I then cut a circumferential groove throughout the bushing, to help distribute the grease. I hit it with the grease gun (I have Slick 50 grease in mine) at every oil change, or more often if it gets noisy. Works for me.

Since I installed poly bushings everywhere in it, I did that on my Fiero, on the control arm bushings as well as the sway bar bushings. It really made a huge difference in reducing the amount of spring stiffness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.