TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some of the threads about how to install front swaybars (raise engine or drop the K-member).
I'm getting ready to do a shock/spring swap and was wondering if that would make it any easier to swap the front swaybar (I have an 89 SC set just waiting to get into my 97) if you have the springs and shocks out? It may be a dumb question but I don't spend a lot of time in that area so I was just wondering...just in case we might be able to get by without major surgery.
A buddy of mine who owns an alignment shop says that we should be able to maneuver the swaybars out and then in. I wasn't so sure because I've read the posts about how it has to be done.
But, if we have to drop the K-member then we are in the right place, at an alignment shop. :tongue:

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You'll still need to lower the K-member a bit to swap them out. Since you'll already be in there swapping the springs/shocks, it would be a good time to do it.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K.
Thanks, Rod!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
racecougar said:
You'll still need to lower the K-member a bit to swap them out. Since you'll already be in there swapping the springs/shocks, it would be a good time to do it.

-Rod
I agree. But since it is so easy (on a 4.6L at least) to completely drop the cross member as a unit, I vote to drop it completely especially if you already have the springs/shocks off. (And it gives you a good chance to pull the oil pan and do a good visual inspection of the interior of the engine, or repair/replace anything "oozing"). :thumbsup:

I just use this to support the engine and not touch anything on top. :thumbsup:

http://www.maxtool.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=/tools.mdb,dbTYPE=2000,tbl=IC_ITEMS_SEARCH,template=/comp_master-3.htm,DB_SEARCH=me4990

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I swapped my 89 SC bars in without too much difficulty. Hardest part for me was cutting that darned assembly tie down out. (No torches, and a cruddy cutting wheel).

It really isn't as difficult as the threads make it sound, and if you're in a shop when you do it then its even easier. You'll be really pleased with them once they're in. I am. Though, I am considering Addco 1 3/8 in front and 1 1/4 in rear next spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts