TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Addco 1 3/8 bars. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problem with the front bar walking any? I put the lock collars on pretty tight but I think the bar has walked over some because now it is making a creaking noise. I was lucky though that the bar isn't hitting the frame anywhere....even though it might be now if the bar is walking. Anyway thanks for any answers to the question.

Russell
 

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
Joined
·
3,067 Posts
What kind of sway bar bushings did you use? If they are polyurethane, they may need to be greased.

I replaced my stock bushings when I freshened up my front suspension a while back. I used Energy Suspension polys and about two months after installing them they started creaking when going over speed bumps and up inclines. Shortly after the creaking started, I realized how useless the zerk fittings are on the ES collars :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark M. TCCoA VP said:
Can you move the bar from side to side or can you see where the bar has moved on the collars?

Mark
Just eyeballing the collar that I can see looks like the bar has moved some, but I have yet to jack it up to take a better look. I used a heavy graphite grease and put a **** load on there. It could be that the bushings are just squeaking but I figured I would check with you guys first to see if anyone has had problems with it walking. The clearance of the swaybar with the lower control arm leads me to believe that if the bar walked any then the swaybar would hit the control arm since there was only about 1/8-1/4" clearance there. I am going to put it up on stands on Monday.

Russell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have something else to ask in this thread. I don't "think" there is a problem with the bar walking. I checked it and it didn't look like it had moved any...one of the collars was not as tight as it could be but I still don't think it moved any.

My question is how much roll was there in the front end after the installation of the front bar? The rear is nice and tight...even too tight, causing a little bit of oversteer in real tight corners. The front rolls about the same as it did before, so that gives me a weird feeling in fast corners. The front rolls some on the turn-in to the corner and then it stops rolling, so with the rear so tight I get a drift coming out of the corner. So I have the front leaning and the rear is sliding out, which is not exactly what I was looking for.

I am wondering if the front is stiff in people's car that have installed the front and rear 1 3/8 bars. I was expecting it to be stiffer than this in the front because the front leaning doesn't inspire any confidence in me when I am driving. I am just trying to sort out where to go next with the handling....the car is a rough version of what I want to end up with. I have a lot of refining to do on it, but first I need to figure out if what I am experiencing is regular. :D

Russell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Did you install the 1 3/8" rear sway bar also? I have both on my '89 XR-7, & I LOVE them. The car handles like it's on rails. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but not harsh at all. Also I've noticed that the XR-7 suspension is a lot stiffer than the Supercoupe suspension. I don't know why that is, except that the XR-7 struts have a different P/N than the SC struts.

What exactly is the problem with the Energy Suspension grease zerks in the poly bushings?

68COUGAR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
68COUGAR said:
What exactly is the problem with the Energy Suspension grease zerks in the poly bushings?68COUGAR
Access! It is nice that they are able to be greased unless you cant get to the fitting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
68COUGAR said:
Did you install the 1 3/8" rear sway bar also?

The car handles like it's on rails.

What exactly is the problem with the Energy Suspension grease zerks in the poly bushings?

68COUGAR
I'm confused....I said in my original post that I had "1 3/8 bars"....which would tell that is plural. I also have it in my signature.... "1 3/8 bars f & r".

The car is stiff in the rear but like I said the front is rolling too much for me so I was trying to figure out if it was me or something that I did. I am going to work on it until I figure out what works.

I don't have a problem with Energy suspension fittings....so I'm guessing that was directed to someone else. I ask a little while back which greaseable swaybar mounts I needed to get and no one ever replied with an answer. I have to agree that I probably wouldn't be able to use the zerk fittings because of space.

Russell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
96bird said:
My question is how much roll was there in the front end after the installation of the front bar? The rear is nice and tight...even too tight, causing a little bit of oversteer in real tight corners. The front rolls about the same as it did before, so that gives me a weird feeling in fast corners. The front rolls some on the turn-in to the corner and then it stops rolling, so with the rear so tight I get a drift coming out of the corner. So I have the front leaning and the rear is sliding out, which is not exactly what I was looking for.

I am wondering if the front is stiff in people's car that have installed the front and rear 1 3/8 bars. I was expecting it to be stiffer than this in the front because the front leaning doesn't inspire any confidence in me when I am driving. I am just trying to sort out where to go next with the handling....the car is a rough version of what I want to end up with. I have a lot of refining to do on it, but first I need to figure out if what I am experiencing is regular. :D

Russell
So is anyone going to try and answer my question? I don't really want to resort to adding more spring rate in the front (and stiffer shock valving) if I don't have to. I want to make sure that everything is setup right the way it is right now.

Russell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
After I change my front struts, I'm going to add the strut tower support, I think someone on this site gave measurments for. I'm hoping that will stop the roll/lean I'm getting, without either going to progressives, which I may do anyway, or increasing the rate, as you mentioned, which I will not do. Ed :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still planning on making a STB, but I don't think that will help enough. I think it will make a difference, but I think I need to go with a little bit more spring to make this combo work right....or lose some weight off the front end which probably won't be happening since I have a blower in the plans.

Russell
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top