TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 3.8l =====I am changing out the water pump again after 150k it is time for the second time around for me. There are two two prong sensor or switches- one is on the thermostat housing or just behind it, by the air bleed off disc.(Plastic white top with 13mm nut in middle) It is a green cap and plastic part on switch?? Temp switch? other one is cream or white colored just to left of this goes into a pipe that goes to intake and receives a heater hose out to the side (passenger side of motor) That one broke just crumbled when I was taking parts off, went to A-Zone to get a PS pulley puller and told them I needed "Engine Coolant Temp Sensor" That is what the chilton called it...sAME AS THE GREEN ONE? tHREADS ARE THE SAME. What is difference in these two? Is one a switch other not? I am going to call advance and see if they have a white one caLLED SOMETHING DIFFERENT. The new temp switch they gave me looks like the one I didn't break on the t-stat. They both have CI or1 on the brass base, one I broke white and the green temp switch A Zone sold me. If any one knows what the diff is and if it matters...let me know. Thanks...it is 105 degrees and I am dying. I may finish tomorrow I am almost through taking apart, new pump, both hoses and new t-stat, and anti freeze. Better hurry, daughter is driving our 05 Mustang until I get this crap fixed. TIA Mike:(

·
5,650 Posts
One is a sensor and one is a sender. The one with green plastic is for the temp gauge, the one with gray/white plastic is for the computer. If you broke the second one, you need the coolant temp sensor. Using the green one is a bad idea because the resistance might be different than that of the other, giving an incorrect reading to the computer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh well

What was wierd was he had another in stock but the threads were were way too big...no way it was the right one, the switch was like $6.99, the other was 19.00, guess the wrong thread peice would be what I need but in right threads. May have to wait till monday and go to a Ford dealership. Thanks for the answer, I may replace the switch while I am in there and have a new one. I never noticed there were two right there together.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:DWent tp Oreillys and picked the sensor Sunday, aftermarket now black base. Went ahead and replaced the temp switch as well since it also is old. Had no leaks on all coolant connections and everything looks clean and I have a peace of mind of one less thing to go wrong for another 85K. (if it lasts that long with her driving it!) One other ?, how long have y'all seen these timing chains last? Are they still nylon crap teeth like 60-70 cars had? I was tempted to go ahead and pull everything off and go there.... but it is hot as.... and I was in the driveway, maybe another time for more "fun". Thanks for the help, another reason I don't like A Zone, I bought all my other pasrts at Advance, they are farther, only use Zone when I have to..closest and seem to be on every corner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts