TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is what me and a buddy is going to do.

We want to swtich from a 95 Tbird engine harness and EEC to a 96 of the same.

Can anyone tell me the different harness's that will need to be changed along with the EEC and the main engine harness?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Changing from A5WO (95) to MBE2 (96)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Off the top of my head, Torque Converter Clutch solenoid is Pulse Width Modulated on the 96+, where as it's digital on the earlier 4r70w's

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,507 Posts
Engine, trans, trans intermediate harness, EEC harness, both coolant senders, 96+ EVR(if using EGR) and as Silenced said, the 96+ TCC solenoid.

There's lots of splicing and repinning that will need to be done at these connectors that go to the dash harness

94/5

When that's done you'll be left with a few wires that go to the rear 02 sensors. I made a jumper harness to go to the trans intermediate harness(the trans harness has the O2 sensors integrated into it).

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Anybody got the pinouts or wire schematic (good one not the haynes/chilton crap) I wil need to do this soon enough going from aw50 to a fte1(cdan4) It would be much easier to fix some connectors than change the entire dash wiring. I may go ahead and change the dash wiring however because I want to put standard climate control in place of the automatic.
Alan

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Awesome info guys! Thanks! However.. I don't think ill do the swap now lol

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
EEC-V Pinouts for 1995, 1996, & 1997 TBirds

1995 Thunderbird EEC-V Pinouts:

1996 Thunderbird EEC-V Pinouts:

1997 Thunderbird EEC-V Pinouts:

AFAIK, if you are going from 95 to 96-97 EEC, these are changes I believe would work:

1996-97 ECM Install in 1994-95 Chassis Procedure:

Cooling Fan Control:
Cut ECM Pin #4 (226-R/O Circuit) Wire (Fan Control Monitor)
Move ECM Pin #68 wire to Hole #45 (LFC - Low Fan Control)
Move ECM Pin #17 wire to Hole #46 (HFC - High Fan Control)

TCC Solenoid:
Move ECM Pin #82 wire to Hole #54 (TCC - Torque Converter Clutch)

Crank Position Sensor:
Move ECM Pin #50 wire to Hole #21 & splice ICM Pins #3 & #4 wires
Move ECM Pin #49 wire to Hole #22 & splice ICM Pins #1 & #5 wires
Ground ICM Pin #10

Purge Flow Sensor:
Add to Evap Canister Vacuum
Wire + to ICM Pin #6 wire
Wire - to ICM Pin #7 & move ECM Pin #23 wire to Hole #11

Coil Packs:
ECM Pin #26 wire to ICM Pin #8 Coil Driver #1
ECM Pin #52 wire to ICM Pin #9 Coil Driver #2
ECM Pin #78 wire to ICM Pin #11 Coil Driver #3
ECM Pin #104 wire to ICM Pin #12 Coil Driver #4

ICM Module Wires:
Pin #1 (395-GY/O Circuit) goes to Pin #49 ECM (PIP)
Pin #2 (659 Circuit) goes to Pin #48 ECM (Tach)
Pin #3 (929-PK Circuit) goes to Pin #50 ECM (Spout)
Pin #4 (350 Circuit) goes to CKP +
Pin #5 (349 Circuit) goes to CKP -
Pin #6 (361 Circuit) goes to Pin #71 & #97 (+)
Pin #7 (259 Circuit) goes to Pin #23 ECM (Ground)
Pin #8 (95-T/W Circuit) goes to Coil #1
Pin #9 (96-T/O Circuit) goes to Coil #2
Pin #10 (651 Circuit) goes to Ground
Pin #11 (97-T/LG Circuit) goes to Coil #3
Pin #12 (98-T/LB Circuit) goes to Coil #4

Reactions: EvilMooseofDoom

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
well, figured i would resurrect this thread to ask a few questions on the harness/ECM i just grabbed out of a 5/96 cougar.

pretty much grabbed EVERYTHING attached to the ECM and engine harness that was different from my 95, including the EVAP flow sensor and the black box in front of the air silencer.

unfortunately the fan connector was hacked off by some idiot after the fan assembly but too lazy to just unplug it. are the wire colors the same from 95 to 96 for the fan? figured i would just solder/shrinktube mine on their when the time came.

dose someone have a wiring schematic for those blue and black connectors under the kick panel by the ECM from 95 and 96?

i assume after i repin those connectors the whole thing will be plug and play save for the TCC. but i'm sure i'm missing something somewhere... it almost looked to me like the MAF connector was different. i know the temp sensors, EGR solenoid, and IAC are, and i have those already from my PI swap.

i do see up their that the rear O2's are not integrated in the trans harness on one of them and are on the other? so i guess ill have to fab something to hook them up like xr7 mentioned.

also something i saw that was odd, it had a sticker from ford stuck to the radiator support that said something along the lines of "licensed modifications, ECM re-flashed F7blahblah" i suppose someone along the line had to re-flash the ECM at ford... shouldn't make much difference i would think.

hmmm, is that 96 wiring schematic for the V6? it seems to be missing two injectors on pin 72, and 98.

and pin 19 on the 97 has something the 96 doesn't. ICM to PCM. whats that supposed to be.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,507 Posts
unfortunately the fan connector was hacked off by some idiot after the fan assembly but too lazy to just unplug it. are the wire colors the same from 95 to 96 for the fan? figured i would just solder/shrinktube mine on their when the time came.
Yes, colors are a match

dose someone have a wiring schematic for those blue and black connectors under the kick panel by the ECM from 95 and 96?
Here's the 96 Connectors: http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1122392&postcount=2

and the 95 connectors:

(click to enlarge)

Just match circuit number to circuit number. Colors match too.

i assume after i repin those connectors the whole thing will be plug and play save for the TCC. but i'm sure i'm missing something somewhere... it almost looked to me like the MAF connector was different. i know the temp sensors, EGR solenoid, and IAC are, and i have those already from my PI swap.
Rear o2 sensors if you plan on running them. The circuits for both the heaters and sensors are run through the dash harness on 96/7s and through the engine bay in 94/5s. When you repin/splice the 94/5 connectors onto the EEC harness the wires you'll end up left with are for those.

Even though my rear O2s are shut off I ran those wires through the dash separately

The MAF connector is different You'll either want a 96+ maf(you can just swap sensors instead of the whole housing) or better yet an 02+ 80mm and a tune.

also something i saw that was odd, it had a sticker from ford stuck to the radiator support that said something along the lines of "licensed modifications, ECM re-flashed F7blahblah" i suppose someone along the line had to re-flash the ECM at ford... shouldn't make much difference i would think.
That's what I'd presume as well.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Brilliant! thanks much.

i had a horrible thought at work today and i was sure i was going to find out those connectors were different from 95-96 :facepalm: guess ill have to go back out to Upull it and cut the connectors off the cougar...

not looking forward to that... this thing is a wreck... was a beautiful two-tone white and blue leather cougar with all the options.

till what looks like a VERY heavy person sat in the seat a couple million times and ripped/broke it all to heck, and then ate/drank every food imaginable while slopping it all over everything within reach. beer cans and hard liquor bottles rolling around the back seat. the smell is completely unique, never smelled something so horrifying in my life. doesn't help its been baking in the hot sun for months.

had to crawl through the backseat and rip the passenger doorpanel off from the inside to jimmy the latch with a crowbar since somethings broke inside the door >.> they don't make water hot enough to get this stink off...

what finally killed her was a oil filter adapter leak, neglected till a rod came through the bottom of the pan... the sludge down bellow it surprising, you can hardly see the swaybar and power-steering lines...

R.I.P poor cougar.... thanks for the parts, you had a hard life that you didn't deserve. :bawling:

well anyway, at least i got somewhere to start, and some things to mull over for a while till i can get some extra time and i have the TCC in hand.

that also explains why the O2 plug was missing up by the main connector from the 96 engine harness. i was wondering.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
oh, well that simplifies things i suppose. guess i could just use the ones off of mine, or find another 95 and use them so when the time comes i can just plug everything in and be done.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Going to revise a stupidly old thread - how has everyone done on this? I've toyed with this idea - would it be worth pulling the "entire" vehicle harness from the car and just rewire everything. I've thought about it using a 96 harness and ECU if one ever shows up at the boneyard (for the instrument panel reason)

I have a 95 3.8 - and I think I have some wiring "ghosts" that might be part of my issues I'm having.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
still haven't gotten around to swapping anything... been collecting the bits i need to swap the entire cars wiring from 95 to 96. just need the dash and driver side fender stuff now.

but i was wondering one thing, i was planning on getting a large part of the swap out of the way soon, the body harness. i picked up a 96 body harness not too long ago with keyless, which my car never had. :) and before i go about pulling the seats, carpet, and door cards to run all the wiring i was wondering if anyone could put my fears to rest that some connector will be different from 95 to 96.

i know ford... and i'm well aware they they like to change random connectors and pinouts from year to year with no other purpose it seems then to make jobs like this a pain.

from what Ive seen the connectors seem to be the same for most of the easy to see parts and pieces. but i haven't verified the large bulkhead connector buried under the fuse panel, or some of the things in the doors and under the carpet.

anyone know what they look like? or whether ford decided to scramble the pinouts for giggles? my chilton says 94-97 has the same body wiring schematic, but it doesn't show connector size, shape, etc.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
that's good to know, i assume its also the same shape. ill have to wait for a dry day, and swap that in then. it will be so nice to have a key fob.

just have to head over to ford and get one >.> i kept the vin from the car i got that harness out of as well. i wasn't sure if i would need it to program the remote. i want to say i needed it for my mothers 06 Taurus, but their completely different animals with PATs and stuff.

so they did away with the door keypad in 96 then? huh, i liked that on my 90, but i hated how the numbers rubbed off really fast... oh well, neither harness has that particular circuit anyway.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
really?! neat. that should save some money i suppose. wonder if i cant get those remotes elsewhere. i know dorman sells them for new chevys.

edit:
bleh, they only sell two remotes for ford, and their both 98+ 13798 13799

·
Super Moderator
12,845 Posts
so they did away with the door keypad in 96 then?
The keypad was not offered, but the circuitry is there in the box; You'd have to do your own wiring and keypad from the trunk. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.