TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90 3.8 with standard guages (no tach). can i switch it with the sport guages from my same year and have the tach and other guages work? There is a 96 t-bird at the junkyard...can i put that whole cluster in and have the voltmeter and tach and stuff work without doing alot of major work? appreciate all input...

·
Registered
118 Posts
i believe the 120 gauge cluster is a direct bolt up to the wiring... the only one ive heard is an issue is taking a 89-93 electric cluster and putting it into an sc (why anyone would do that i dunno but i guess some like the digital stuff)

however if i were you id find a 91-93 5.0 or any 93 tbird for that matter because itd be more of a direct fit i think, they may have redesigned the speedo cluster slightly for the newer dash. and i think in 1993 all 3.8 na and 5.0 birds got the sport cluster with volt meter

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
joew623 said:
i have a 90 3.8 with standard guages (no tach). can i switch it with the sport guages from my same year and have the tach and other guages work? There is a 96 t-bird at the junkyard...can i put that whole cluster in and have the voltmeter and tach and stuff work without doing alot of major work? appreciate all input...
the 96 cluster is the same as a 91 cluster. It bolts and clips right in, but the tach, volts and oil gauge will NOT work. Ford did not wire for them since they wouldn't be used. To make them work, you would need an LX engine wiring harness.

verdict: buy pillar gauge pods.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can i get the wiring harness or whatever or a wiring diagram to somehow get the tach and stuff to work??

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You would need a diagram for your car's wiring, a diagram for a 92+ 3.8L and the oil, volt and tach senders.

GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where can i get a wiring diagram?? and are the wires right there at the dash or do i have to run wiring??

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
i just bought the haynes manual and it has a great wiring diagram of the entire electrical setup for our cars....check it out

Kyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts