TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
The silverstars are the brightest high quality replacement. I have also heard that they only last a year, tops. IMO they are too expensive to be replaced that often. I went with the Xtravisions. They are not as bright as the Silverstars, but better than stock. They are cheaper and supposedly last longer, too.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
$29.99 at Wal Mart. Very Bright. I went from normal bulbs in old yellow 94 lenses, to the SilverStars in brand new 97 lenses. Major improvement.

·
Administrator
8,055 Posts
laminarflow said:
Pepboys has a good deal on the silverstars - worth the upgrade to replace the original 9007's?
How much? Thinking of putting them in the Explorer.

Joe

·
Registered
615 Posts
i got some silverstars from my buddy for doing some car work for him. Yes they are bright bulbs, what makes them better is that there is no yellow tint in their light.
Good substitute for the cheap mans HID's

·
Registered
493 Posts
Used them in my SAAB (9004) and in my tbird. Love em. VERY sensitive to voltage, though, 16V killed them.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think they're actually about the same as the XtraVisions, except they have a blue tint and cost double. Blue tint makes bulbs seem brighter because blue light gives more glare, but I think the XtraVisions actually have the same light output. I saw some posts on this subject around here a couple months ago, and some criticism at www.danielsternlighting.com Oh, and he says the filament do wear out more quickly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
S_Mazza said:
I think they're actually about the same as the XtraVisions, except they have a blue tint and cost double. Blue tint makes bulbs seem brighter because blue light gives more glare, but I think the XtraVisions actually have the same light output. I saw some posts on this subject around here a couple months ago, and some criticism at www.danielsternlighting.com Oh, and he says the filament do wear out more quickly.
They have no blue tint.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Some Pep Boys ads were misprinted (at least around here) and the $11.88 price is EACH after rebate when you buy them in the twin pack.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
They have no blue tint.
Really? I thought they did. I remember looking at some Sylvanias that did. I guess I was thinking of the Cool Blue lights. I stand corrected on that point. But I would rather get the XtraVisions, although the "blue" look is cool.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The silverstars LOOK brighter, but they are NOT. They put out the same light, but the silverstars have a blue film on them. Pretty easy to determine which will actually be better.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you are worried about the cost of replacing them every year, just drive like 400 miles less in the entire year and use your saved gas money to buy bulbs :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Silverstars are a real good replacement bulb if you want to see better. I've had them for well over a year in my '89 Caprice and have had no problems. I can see the difference and they light up the road better. They are worth it, especially if you drive at night.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i have them in 2 cars, my 1981 regal, sealed beams, and in my parents crown vic, they make a world of difference in both cars.the crowns headlamps are starting to yellow, and my mom says she can totally see the difference. can actually see the nose of the car at night now. the regal is the same way. i have not noticed any blue color, they are really really white and bright. i have no experience with the extravisions though, would be interested to see. i cant answer the life expectancy question either. i havent had them for more than a couple months, ill let you know next winter.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I believe Sylvania refers to the silverstars as hyperwhites, or something like that. It's designed to be a very white light. Love mine.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i love my silverstars...put them on my 93 and it made a reall difference with the old lenses...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts