TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking into some smaller projects to improve the look of the car. I know some people like the "retro" of regular halogen bulbs in their cars since the MN12 is an older chassis. But I want to get better visibility from my headlights, they are aimed properly, but I still don't see nearly as well as I did with my old '03 Taurus sedan.

Like I said the lights are aimed properly, and I did buff the lenses recently too. What's everyone's thoughts on putting Sylvania ZXE bulbs in the housing? Will I notice an improvement in visibility? Or will it just make everything super bright and blind other drivers?

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
ZXEs are halogens, and focus the same way.

I love mine in my 1988 Dakota (with the 9004 replacement units for the 4666 sealed beams), but TBH, I even more prefer the 9011/9012s I have in the 1991 XR7 (the one with the Grand Marquis headlights).

Just keep in mind - they don't last as long as standard halogens, so ... ya pays ya monies, ya takes ya choice.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Years ago, I bought new headlight housings from Rockauto, put Philips Extreme Power II halogen bulbs in them, and both my GF and I were amazed at how bright they were.

We couldn't see hardly anything before the swap!

The reason I went with the Philips is I've never been impressed with the Sylvania's and after they got sued a couple of years ago for false advertising on their Silverstar and Ultras, it looks like I wasn't alone!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to agree that when it comes to halogens, Philips has a solid line. Sylvania is so so unless you can find legitimate Osrams. My recommendation would be Philips ExtremeVision bulbs and a relay harness.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will be looking into the Phillips ExtremeVision or Extreme Power bulbs now. I had also heard the ZXE's don't last as long as standard level halogen bulbs, I was just looking into the brighter options for my old school reflector lens headlights. I don't think $50 a pair is low enough to consider the ZXE's now.

96MN12Bird, you mention a relay harness for the Phillips Extreme Vision bulbs, is that required to make them work? What's the part numbers I should look for on relay harnesses and bulbs?

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
XR7wrench_monkey - ANY brighter halogen (like the ExtremeVision or Extreme Power bulbs) will be shorter lived than the OEM grade bulbs.

Your other choice is to swap to Grand Marquis headlights, and use HIRs (9011 and 9012 bulbs) instead. Same life as halogen, but in the GM headlights, I can see mile markers 1 mile out at night ... can't READ them, but can see the green dot in the distance! *grins*

RwP

·
Registered
78 Posts
Color coated bulbs will have a drastically shorter overall lifespan due to the filament being overdriven. Non coated bulbs will have a shorter lifespan than a standard or Eco bulb but it's not by a drastic margin.

I rather agree with using the Grand Marquis headlights with HIRs. Best option for halogens. How is the beam pattern on those lights? It has to be better than any of the combination reflectors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts