TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Ive got 95k on my 97 4.6 and I would like your opinion on changing to synthetic oils, my motor is stock

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I always run Motorcraft synthetic blend. Its what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I only use synthetic motor oil in all of my vehicles.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
And us "Carolina Crew" run Mobil One synthetic .(mostly I believe ) Some here trash the brand , but its been good to me and my engines .

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I used Royal Purple once at 80 something thousand miles and it drastically increased my oil consumption. No matter what oil I use now, I go though a quart every 600-700 miles. It used to only use one quart every 3000 miles. Right now, I use Shell rotella T6 5w40.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I also use mobil 1 extended performance synthetic exclusively in my vehicles after seeing how clean it's been coming out and clean the insides of the motors are. It also stopped burning as much, and stopped leaking on my F-150.

Previously I've used AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Valvoline Synpower, standard synthetic Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Redline, etc.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
my rule of thumb has always been if its over 150k or so, then the seals and things are worn to a point where its probably just the sludge holding the oil in. if you have leaks, like around your crank, then syn being mostly detergent will clean the sludge around those seals and they will leak worse.

same with valve seals, and i even experienced it on my own car. nearly 120k, went to mobil1 from who knows what (just bought her)... and she burned through 4 of the 6 quarts in less then 1k miles. i had to add more and a single quart of regular Valvoline to slow it down. and when i did that first oil change it was like someone had filled my pan with brown Dec-a-cake frosting. Quaker State? :zdunno:

after i did that initial mobil1 fill, i swapped to a synblend castrol, and it consumed considerably less, but was nowhere near cured. but over the next couple of oil changes i noticed it slowing, and even finally coming to a stop where i could fill it with 6 quarts, and still find 6 in it on the 4k oil change. and the sludgy diarrhea come drain time went away finally as well :D

so then i decided why the heck not, and i put mobil1 back in their, only around a quart every 6k! so anyway, long story short, sometimes you may have to ween it in with a blend, but if the motors too far gone, reseal it first and cross your fingers.

doesn't consume anything at all with a bit of Lucas syn oil treatment.

oh, and it also wiped out my O2's from all the oil consumption, and my cats have smelled like cat piss and rotten eggs ever since :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts