TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install a T45 in a 4.6 POwered Bird? I want to do this because I like driving manuals better, more fun also my AODE tranny seems to love leaking even after I fix leaks. (Front pump seal, geroter seal, outputshaft seal, and pan gasket, yet it still leaks out of the outputshaft housing to main housing gasket)
I have a couple questions.
Are the t45s the same length as the stock AODE tranny?
Will the stock Bird Driveshaft work with a t45?
For a clutch pedal should i use a Supercoupe Pedal setup or a SN95 mustang setup?
I dont know if the supercoupe setup uses a Liunkage or a hydraulic setup for the clutch and i would rather use a Linkage setup like those found on mustangs.
And lastly will the T45 even bolt up to the mount and back of the tbird 4.6? im guessing yes because thats what they use in the 96+ stangs but Ford is wierd sometimes, thought not as wierd as chevy and its different driveshaft for every damn transmission.
Thanks for any questions you can answer or webpages you can refer me to,

Allan
[email protected]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just looked in the tech section and it pretty much answers all my questions.
Maybe i shoulda looked there first....

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
yeah i wanna do the same thing one day..

one day..... $$$ for that upgrade... btw you dont have an AODE, you have a 4r70w, and if you dont wanna shell out the money for a 5spd swap... you can get a 4r70w from Dennis that is builty to Jerry specs, I believe he sells them for around the $1200 price range, im not positive, I have the j-mods in my 96, and i love it, great combo with the chip.......

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
allan95tbird said:
im thinking done right i can do the t45 swap cheaper than that
i think it comes down to how cheap you can get the machined parts made and how cheap you can get the driveshaft made. all the other stuff can be had cheap from boneyards

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im estimating 300 for the driveshaft if i go with aluminum and 200 or so for chromoly
and the machine work shouldnt be too much, a shoip down the street from my house can do the work and he has good prices.
im gonna go hit the boneyards tomarrow and start collecting pieces. if i can find any

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
allan95tbird said:
im estimating 300 for the driveshaft if i go with aluminum and 200 or so for chromoly
and the machine work shouldnt be too much, a shoip down the street from my house can do the work and he has good prices.
im gonna go hit the boneyards tomarrow and start collecting pieces. if i can find any
You'll need some custom machined pieces made to mate everything
up. The conversion can't be done with boneyard/Ford parts only.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you read my post?
i said thereis a shop down the street that can do the machine work with good prices
i realize its not all junkyard parts.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Missed that post....good luck n/m

allan95tbird said:
did you read my post?
i said thereis a shop down the street that can do the machine work with good prices
i realize its not all junkyard parts.
n/m

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got a T45 from a 97 cobra today. First of the parts! and it was free!!
Gonna hit a couple wrecking yards tomarrow and see if i can find the pedal.
gotta get the tranny rebuilt tho.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have done the T-45 swap in my 97 and IMO it's a fantastic mod. It's not the same car!!!!
Go for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you go by the tech article in the TCCOA page?
Got any pics or tips for my swap?
The more pics of the swap the better.
I Printed the whole article on the Tech page and read it like 6 times. Gonna basically copy that pretty much.
Hopfully ill have it done within a month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts