TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Damn you guys want those handles that bad? I could have hooked it up. I can get handles for people. I have thin arms to reach the rod that holds itself to the handle.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Here here! I was able to pound the pin out and actually pry the handles almost fully out without damage 3 out of the 4 times I tried it but the rod got me every time.

Having the right tools handy helps too but somehow I always am missing the one I really need when I try to pull something lol
Pounding the pin out works, but if you just use a flat head screw driver, shove it behind the handle and whack it with a hammer - it cuts those rivets off clean without damaging the handle at all (they are just aluminum).

Now get the pos rod unhooked and you're done!

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
All right! Got the call from him over the weekend; the car is done! :D

He did end up going over my budget, but he says he cut me some discounts to bring it in closer to my price range. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, after seeing everything he went through to do the job right with the unexpected additional work, I'm content with the end results. For those interested, the total was $4300. That includes a new fender, metal work on both rockers, metal work in the passenger quarter panel, removing and reinstalling the exhaust and gas tank, installing the fuel pump, a new set of door locks, filling and smoothing any imperfections, and of course the paint prep, finish, reassembly and detailing. I bought the fuel pump, both rockers and the replacement door prior to the work being done for a total of $450.

Unfortunately with all this nonsense snow we had over the weekend, the roads are still wet with salt water and there's no way I'm driving it home in that crap. So, needless to say with 52 degrees and sunny forecast for tomorrow... :D :D

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You bring the pics, I'll bring the lotion!! I cant wait to see this!

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
For all the work they put into the car, that really isn't a bad price. Plus you did it right and took everything off the car instead of just taping it up, so you won't have to worry about paint flaking off or peeling or anything like that, so now the car should look good for another 10+ years, so if you think about it as an investment that way, it doesn't seem too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Arrighty... here ya go! :D

The sun was already pretty low by the time I got it home so I wasn't able to get any pictures in ideal lighting conditions except the first couple I took when I got to the shop. I'll take more sometime later. And don't mind the rusty tips... stainless steel replacements are on the list.

I like how in the last pic you can see the reflections of both the Mark VIII and Cougar. :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Very Nice! I like the close-up of the 'Thunderbird LX'. That looks really nice! lol ;)

Headlights are killer!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Looks great!!!

You definately need lowering springs now for sure. She would look mean sitting down in the weeds imo.

Oh and some steel wool on the tips should clean them up nicely if done carefully, that or Flitz, Nevrdull. Either of those two products will take those tips back to like new.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Very Nice! I like the close-up of the 'Thunderbird LX'. That looks really nice! lol ;)

Headlights are killer!
I took that one just for you. :tongue:

The headlights, yeah. I actually just came in from polishing the cloudiness out:

Much better! :D

Looks great!!!

You definately need lowering springs now for sure. She would look mean sitting down in the weeds imo.

Oh and some steel wool on the tips should clean them up nicely if done carefully, that or Flitz, Nevrdull. Either of those two products will take those tips back to like new.
Neh, I've never been a fan of lowered cars. I think the bird sits low enough as it is; in fact another 1/2" and I wouldn't be able to fit the jack underneath, lol. The tires are about 3/4" shorter than stock, so that doesn't help the illusion of height either. Thanks for the tip about the tips. They were chrome plated aluminum. I have the feeling the chrome has peeled off and is long gone.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The car looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I likey! Lookin good brandon!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Man that is sexy! Your car looks so good now, I am thinking about getting projectors for mine!

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
Neh, I've never been a fan of lowered cars. I think the bird sits low enough as it is; in fact another 1/2" and I wouldn't be able to fit the jack underneath, lol. The tires are about 3/4" shorter than stock, so that doesn't help the illusion of height either. Thanks for the tip about the tips. They were chrome plated aluminum. I have the feeling the chrome has peeled off and is long gone.
I use a small jack to get the front end high enough to slide the big jack in, it's not that bad :D

Paint looks fantastic but a modest drop would make a helluva difference

61 - 80 of 121 Posts