TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back I started having a lot of problems from my T-Bird:
SilverBird02 said:
A little history on my car. It's a 95 T-Bird with a 4.6L, a little over 90,000 miles. It's got a Jerry II chip, Lightning MAF and a 3.73 rear end. About two weeks ago I started to notice that when I took off from a stop every once in a while the car would bog down somewhat and act like it wanted to die. About a week or so ago while I was driving I stopped at a light and turned and the car died. So since then the check engine light would come on and go off(with the chip the check engine light had always been on) and each time it did the car would either die or act like it was about to. Friday I cleaned my K&N filter, cleaned up the MAF and reset the computer(pulled the positive cable and left it that way for about 25 minutes). As soon as I hooked it back up and turned it on the car started let off black smoke while at idle. The idle was rough, would drop below 500rpm and bog down then come back up. So I gave it some gas a few times and when I went inside I noticed a lot of black stuff on the ground from the exhaust(carbon I take it?). So I drove the car home and under light throttle at higher speeds the car rides rough, almost like it did when I had a bad plug wire but not as bad. But, if I give it gas it seems to become smooth again. At a stop the car idles lower then normal with a funny smell. I went out to start it a few times this weekend and the first time I crank it the car doesn't want to start, but then does on the second try. If I give it gas the car blows some black smoke.
At the time I was running alittle low on cash so I just drove a second car around for the summer. So last Sunday I went and picked up my car from storage to take it to the shop, only it was running fine. That lasted for a few days, but now it's doing something different. I noticed that when I would go around turns my forward motion would stop and the car would rev up 1500rpm or so, but it wasn't like it was in neutral. So today when I left work I was stopped in our parking lot waiting to cross the street. When I went to take off the car went up to about 2500rpm and then took off. As I said, it didn't feel like the car was in neutral, and there was no sudden take off either, just went on like nothing was wrong. Really weird. I had the oil changed and trans fluid checked before I stored it and there was no trans fluid on the ground when I picked it up.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Sounds like you are sloshing the trans. fluid away from the pickup and the trans. temporarily looses pressure and slips a bit. Def. not good. Double-check that fluid level.

With the rev to 2500 before takeoff it almost sounds like a TC issue, either that or it's just really that low on fluid.

I'm sure Darrin or someone will chime in w/ some additonal thoughts.

Jay

·
Registered
391 Posts
Could the filter have come loose in the transmission, or the O-ring not installed properly and your sucking air instead of fluid?

I would start with double-checking the fluid level, then drop trans-pan and check that filter out/install new one.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Definately sounds like low fluid. Drop the pan and change the filter and fluid before you drive it anymore.

·
Registered
139 Posts
SilverBird02 said:
A few months back I started having a lot of problems from my T-Bird:

At the time I was running alittle low on cash so I just drove a second car around for the summer. So last Sunday I went and picked up my car from storage to take it to the shop, only it was running fine. That lasted for a few days, but now it's doing something different. I noticed that when I would go around turns my forward motion would stop and the car would rev up 1500rpm or so, but it wasn't like it was in neutral. So today when I left work I was stopped in our parking lot waiting to cross the street. When I went to take off the car went up to about 2500rpm and then took off. As I said, it didn't feel like the car was in neutral, and there was no sudden take off either, just went on like nothing was wrong. Really weird. I had the oil changed and trans fluid checked before I stored it and there was no trans fluid on the ground when I picked it up.
For the background info I would say sounds like its running rich I'd be willing to bet its something to do with that chip you have in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I dropped the car off yesterday morning at the shop. About noon my buddies wife(they run a car lot) called and said my car was there and ready for me to pick up. Ended up I was 3 quarts low on trans fluid. He couldn't find a leak, I havn't seen any leaks, and last May when I had the oil changed at the smart lube in town they said the trans fluid was fine. I'm thinking of not going back to that place. As for the idle problems, he said he hooked the car up to the computer and it didn't throw any codes. He said all my connections around my MAF were loose. Anyways, cost me $30 and the car seems to run fine now. Weird.....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Not wierd really.

A. I NEVER trust a quickie-lube tech to check my fluid. Did they check it while it was running? I always thought you had to have the trans. full hot and the car idling in park to get an accurate check- maybe I'm wrong :confused:

B. If the MAF or any connection on the intake tube was loose, then that would totally explain the crappy accel. and whatnot. The motor was getting un-metered air and the EEC was trying to compensate for it, probably by richening the mixture a bit.

Good to know it didn't cost you a whole lot. I'd keep an eye on that trans. if it was run that low. The 95's weren't known for their longevity when the fluid was full, let alone being run low too long.

Jay

·
Registered
139 Posts
A case of a malfuctioning MAF sensor hmm seems like a reaccuring issue with these cars

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
I actually have something similar happening on my t-bird. I had the trrans rebuilt at 120k and am now at 205k on my original 5.0 I found out after the fact the work was done that they kept the original torque converter in the car, so i am leaning towards that being the problem. Here is the scenario:

When the car sits overnight every morning when I get in the car I can move forward until my first stop. Once that happens then the car seems to feel like it is in nuetral. I give it a little gas and she will go back into gear. This happens once or twice maybe. I can always correct it by giving her a little gas but its annoying in the morning revving at people in rush hour traffic (my car is unnessecarily loud). Once this happens once or twice the rest of the ride is fine and it stops doing it, until I leave the car overnight. My uncle is calling it morning sickness.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
they just get dirty, usually a cleaning fixes it right up

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, they put 2 quarts of trans fluid and one quart of Lucas in it. I tell ya what, that Lucas works wonders. I'm back to barking from the 1-2 shift now. For the most part my problems have gone away, atleast to the extent of before. I knew my check engine light would come on with the chip. Sure enough this morning while waiting at a light my RPM dropped, came back up, and a few seconds later the light came on. Then when I got to work this morning, I put the car in park and was finishing up a song when the RPM's jumped to about 1100 and stayed there. I'll drive it for the weekend and if I have anymore problems I'll take it back on Monday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the same problem!!! "Trans goes into neutral after braking" I had the trans out to replace an engine oil leak now when I brake hard, as when preparing to make a turn, or when I come to a stop it drops out of gear (clutch or band opens). Will do it even when held in Low. No oil foaming, no funny noises. I've read that it might be a loose electrical connection at the trans so I'm going to check that first. I know a little about auto trans so this has me baffled.
I'll be interested to see what the fix is.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Gregory, sounds like you are either low on fluid or the filter isn't properly seated and it is sucking air.

Both my 00 Grand Marquis and my 89 Cougar have done this due to issues with the filter and fluid level. 00 Grand Marquis was in an accident, it forced the pan into the filter, they replaced the pan, but didn't get the filter seal out and attch it back to the filter, they just sorta hoped the filter would stay in place. On the 89 with the AOD the rubber line to the cooler burst, I "fixed it" by bypassing the cooler but lost a little over a quart of fluid, it would go to neutral over bumps, turns, and stopping.

93 is still an AOD, right? The only electrical is neutral/reverse switch, and that is only for park/neutral starting and backup lights. It gets all inputs from the governor and the TV cable, so I doubt it is electrical issue in your case, likely fluid level or filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was the fluid level. Boy, do I feel stupid. I was a professional mechinic for many years (mostly European stuff). We were always taught that the fluid level, when HOT should be about mid-range on the stick. It was suggested that at cool temp that you'd be okay at the low mark. Not the AOD. I got the level up to midway and the problem dissappeared.

Thanks for the help.

Four inches of snow on my Bird this morning! Whoa! too early for this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts