TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, could someone help me??? I have a 94 T-bird that died suddenly last week and I had it towed home. Since then I have changed the fuel filter, Throttle Position sensor, checked all of the vacuum lines and unbolted the cats to see if they were plugged. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply guitar maestro. The car will crank and has 14 volts on the meter. I am getting spark and I do have fuel pressure at the valve on the throttle body rail.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i'd really like to see this battery that is putting out 14V while cranking......something's not right here

but anyways, assuming you do have a properly working battery, and if you have air and fuel, there doesnt seem to be a reason your car shouldnt start, unless the IAC is not opening up, or the pcm is not commanding any injector pulsewidths.......possibly bad crank position sensor or cam position sensor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery is fine, I need to put a proper guage on the fuel rail, to see exactly how much fuel pressure that I am getting, but the pos guage that I put on there shows about 20 psi when key is in the on postion. Would an IAC failure cause the engine to stop while driving? I was thinking that the Camshaft or Crank position sensors could be the issue or the EGR valve.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
If it's tha IAC, you can start it by holding the throttle barely open while you crank it. It should start.

See if it's firing, by using a timing light (or other method), and check the injector solenoids with a meter or light to make sure they are operating.

IMHO, no spark is the crank sensor, no fuel is the cam sensor.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I would look at the fuel system first. If you still have 20 psi (35-40 psi is spec) then inspect fuel system. Check for proper volt at pump or connector before pump. Bad fuel pump, bad regulator, clogged fuel lines, leaking fuel lines or an injector stuck open. If the injector is stuck open then the engine would hydro-lock and/or have fuel leaking through exhaust. This is the only things that would cause low fuel pressure. The other sensors would control the inj timing and duration.Not pressure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I chucked the pos fuel guage that I was using and bought a proper guage and I have 40 psi at the valve on the fuel rail with key on. Could it be the EGR valve? Would that cause the car to die suddenly?

Thanks,
Vince

·
5,650 Posts
The computer does not need the cam sensor to run the engine. It's helps while cranking do determine which stroke cylinder 1 is on, but if it gets no input it will try firing on the one stroke and if that fails will fire on the next. By the second try the engine would have started.

Have you actually verified spark or is this an assumption? I'm not trying to insult you, just making sure. As far as the IAC goes, it can prevent the car from starting and can cause it to stall, but if this is the problem then holding the throttle slightly open while cranking would allow the engine to start and run. A stuck open EGR valve would not prevent the engine from starting but would not let it idle properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tested spark with a spark tester that I got when I bought the fuel pressure guage yesterday evening. I put the tester on all plugs and the test light came on all eight plugs when I cranked the engine. Before I checked spark I removed inspected and cleaned the plugs and all of them looked ok also. Any ideas? I will go out in a few hours when it cools down (110 degrees here) and try to crank the engine with the throttle open just a little. I will post again with the results. Thank you for the help!!!!

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was afraid that the PCM would be the issue, I will brave the heat and post back in a few minutes.

Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to crank it with the throttle open just a little and it tried to start about one to two seconds and then died. It loped badly for the one two two seconds. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I have had the maf sensor do this. Unplug the maf sensor then try starting it. If it starts then replace the maf sensor. If it does not start then plug the maf back in. Thats not the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have cleaned the MAF sensor the tried to start it with the MAF unplugged and it did not start.

Thanks,
Vince

1 - 20 of 40 Posts