TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son's 96 T-Bird got totaled last night. He was going south and a driver going east ran a red light through an intersection and smacked him hard, around 40 MPH.

Fortunately, it was the passenger side that got hit and my son survived with some bruises and scrapes from the shoulder belt. The force of the impact crushed the passenger door all the way to the center console. Its extremely fortunate that he did not have a passenger, as they would probably have been killed.

The important thing is that my son and the other driver are OK. But its sad to lose the car, as my son and I had put in a couple hundred hours of work on that car. In 2 1/2 years of ownership, we replaced the heater core (20 hours right there), the catalytic converters, intake manifold, mass air flow sensor, radiator, brake master cylinder, brake pads, driver door latch, battery, alternator, ignition lock cylinder, power steering cooler, thermostat and various other little things.

My son has nearly completed a 2 year degree program in auto mechanics. He has learned a lot working on that car with me.

The other car was a Chevrolet HHR. I say 'was' because it appeared beyond repair. Its airbags deployed.

Anyway, I guess its time to say goodbye to everyone here. Most of my posts here were about 2 1/2 years ago, shortly after we bought the car and it developed numerous problems. Got them all fixed, so thanks for everyone's advice here.

Update 5/5/12: More photos added - see post #34

·
Administrator
8,010 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone is alright! :)

You don't have to say goodbye, get another car! ;)

Joe

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is ok. If you and your son liked the car get another mn12.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
You can pick these cars up, nice, for nothing, they are safe, dependable, tough as nails, get another, good to hear nobody was hurt.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Very lucky no one was in the passenger seat. Cars can always be replaced, people cannot. This just made me think of what it would be like if that happened to me with my girlfriend in the car. I would be devastated because I'd lose the two things I care the most about. It's a very sobering thought. I got T-boned by a Toyota Camry doing probably 25 MPH on my rear passenger quarter. The insurance company almost totaled the car out until my dad and I had a talk with them. Surprisingly, that panel was crushed in by maybe 4-5 inches, max.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You can pick these cars up, nice, for nothing, they are safe, dependable, tough as nails, get another, good to hear nobody was hurt.
Word! Thats what I did when my bird got L-boned! ;) Very glad to hear that everyone is still breathing!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
WOW

Glad to here everyone's OK:thumbsup:

The Thunderbird was hauled away by a flatbed tow-truck, so currently I don't have much left to donate. However, I do have the compact spare tire, jack, and a 96 factory shop manual.
What kind of insurance did you have?:zdunno:

Here in NY, If you didn't have full coverage. You still own the car.
It's just collecting storage fees at the tow yard. Big scam!:thumbsd:

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm very glad to hear your son is OK; that is the most important part. I hope you guys stay around here; also, if your son (or you) wants another MN-12, I think everyone here would keep an eye out for some good potential for you guys. Whatever you decide to do, I hope this will be your last experience with accident reports!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I agree with the rest here in saying I'm glad no body got hurt. I also say that the T-Bird probably held up better in this crash than most other cars would. I would try and get another MN12 for sure. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good to hear that your son is ok and all is well. When I got into my accident with my caprice I was so upset about the car, but then I realized had I been in the cougar the impact would have been right in the middle of the drivers door instead of the fender on the caprice. I would have been a gonner for sure as the caprice's frame horns were pushed over at least six inches...

Very good to know both drivers are safe, and like they all said above. Grab another one! They're cheap! :cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of insurance did you have?:zdunno:

Here in NY, If you didn't have full coverage. You still own the car.
It's just collecting storage fees at the tow yard. Big scam!:thumbsd:

:wavey:
We have liability coverage only, no collision.

And thanks for the heads up about the storage fees. That prompted me to get the car out of storage today. Since we don't have collision coverage, I had to pay out of pocket for towing.

I added a photo of the car in our driveway. See post #1.

The initial tow was $270 (from accident to storage). Plus they charged me $50 for storage and another $90 for picking it up off hours (since they are closed Saturday). If we had waited till Monday when they re-opened, it would have been another $100 in storage.

For the second tow, I used my AAA card which is good for 5 miles, so I had to pay $130 for additional mileage.

So far this cost me $540 just to get the car home and not pay $50 a day while waiting for the insurance companies to fight it out. But at least my son is OK (but bruised).

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Glad no one was seriously hurt and you got the car back before the yard robbed you blind! I'm with the others that say after all the TLC you gave that car, I'd buy another and use those new parts you have on that one!

·
Registered
345 Posts
did you get the people who hit your sons info name, car insurance, and policy #
if they ran a red, it sounds like it's their fault, shouldn't their insurance pay for it.
especially if they got a ticket and your son didn't.
did your son go to the hospital when it happened, their insurance should pay for that too.
At least in va that's how it is

Same thing happened to me and my escape, i have liablity only i had to pay out of pocket too to tow to my house, but once i got in contact with the people who hit me insurance company they covered my loss since it wasn't my fault, and i still have my truck and enough money to buy another one to fix it.

Save your receipts from towing and such just in case

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
did you get the people who hit your sons info name, car insurance, and policy #
if they ran a red, it sounds like it's their fault, shouldn't their insurance pay for it.
especially if they got a ticket and your son didn't.
did your son go to the hospital when it happened, their insurance should pay for that too.
At least in va that's how it is

Same thing happened to me and my escape, i have liablity only i had to pay out of pocket too to tow to my house, but once i got in contact with the people who hit me insurance company they covered my loss since it wasn't my fault, and i still have my truck and enough money to buy another one to fix it.

Save your receipts from towing and such just in case
The California Highway Patrol got the other driver's insurance info. When I arrived at the accident scene, he said it would be included in the report.

The accident report is supposed to be available Monday. If, as we expect, they determine that its the other driver's fault, then their insurance will owe us for the car and towing.

But I am required to try to minimize the expenses, so I couldn't just let the car sit in storage indefinitely. It seemed like a waste of time to tow it home, but I had no choice because of the ridiculously high storage fees.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That's exactly how my Tempo looked when I got T-boned by that Silverado. Hope your son doesn't have the issue I have/had.

·
Registered
652 Posts
WOW....glad to see everyone came out OK.

I wouldnt even know what to do if someone t-boned any of my Birds.

Getting another MN12 is definetly a MUST!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
In my accident the driver that hit me, ran a red, it was her fault and her insurance reimbursed me for the tow and medical charges and all of that. Make sure you fight for a good value too! Show them all the receipts you have.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts