TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side 93 Mark VIII mirror has a cracked housing, but I've got the mirrors from my 96 T-Bird sitting at home.

Before I take the time to paint them and fit them, does anyone know if they'll fit? I know the part nos. are different, but they look pretty well identical.

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
Should've brought this up a month ago, I just replaced the DS mirror on mine and tossed the housing the new mirror came in since it was a different color code... :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
I used a set of 93/94 Mark VIII mirrors on my 96 Thunderbird. They bolted right up and plug in, with zero modifications needed?? Perhaps they varied somewhat from year to year?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a set of 93/94 Mark VIII mirrors on my 96 Thunderbird. They bolted right up and plug in, with zero modifications needed?? Perhaps they varied somewhat from year to year?
Good to know thanks. That's basically what I'm doing, 96 tbird mirrors on a 93 mark.

Now I gotta find some pearlescent paint - apparently I need a base coat and three different shades of clear :eek:

·
Registered
859 Posts
I might be able to grab a pair of used Mark VIII mirrors that are already painted in the WK code opalescent white. Not sure of the condition, but that might be easier than trying to paint them t match given the color.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,518 Posts
Pearlescent isn't 3 stages of clear, it's only one stage more than a regular solid/metallic paintjob - Regular color coat, pearlescent coat, then regular clearcoat.

If you're doing it on the cheap with spraypaint I managed to get good results with Testors model car pearl clearcoat for the second stage, with duplicolor for the other two(enamel for the clearcoat). I did my plate frame using that and it's held up excellent for a few years now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pearlescent isn't 3 stages of clear, it's only one stage more than a regular solid/metallic paintjob - Regular color coat, pearlescent coat, then regular clearcoat.

If you're doing it on the cheap with spraypaint I managed to get good results with Testors model car pearl clearcoat for the second stage, with duplicolor for the other two(enamel for the clearcoat). I did my plate frame using that and it's held up excellent for a few years now.
Good to know thanks. The guy at the Napa paint centre told me I'd need the three coats of clear. Maybe I should look elsewhere then.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might be able to grab a pair of used Mark VIII mirrors that are already painted in the WK code opalescent white. Not sure of the condition, but that might be easier than trying to paint them t match given the color.
Cool let me know what you find!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
That cant be right, because the Mark 8 doors are totally different than the Tbird. Im pretty sure you used Tbird mirrors if they bolted up with zero modifications.

·
Registered
859 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts