TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the inevitable happened. Being that half the city is still without power, I was stuck at one of the makeshift 4-way stops when this guy in a Ford Escape slams into the back of me. Insurance is totaling it and as expected are cheap with the money.

Whatever amount we decide on I may still take the car back just to part out and recover what I want. They said I could have the car for $150 less than selling it to them and they add the salvage title.

So needless to say it is time to start looking for a new car. I'm not buying it here since too many cars are flooded. With that being said, I need some help on what to get. I figure I can raise about $8,000 and I would like to finance, at most, $6,000 for a total of $14,000. I hate suv's and small cars. A truck would be ok, or another car, preferably with 2-doors a v-8 and rwd. I would prefer something to start out faster than the Bird and work from there.

With that being said, does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to get my hands on the 02 35th anny camaro SS, but not many seem to go in my budget. I also don't know of any known problems with them. I have seem some 04 and older Mustang GT's go cheaper now that the new style is out and that would give me a headstart with basically the same motor and tranny. If you have ideas about other good cars that don't exactly fit my criteria above, please list those as well as nothing is set in stone.

Thanks for your help guys, and in the near future I may have a couple parts like 70mm T-Body, Richard M Tube, 76mm MAF, etc. Regardless I have new L.C.A.s, Inner tie rods and tie rod ends with boots, all the j-mod parts including 96 filter and pan, tranny cooler, oil filter relocation set up with SS hoses, and I am sure a few other parts sitting new and mostly in the original boxes as well.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
HOw much would you like for the complete setup for the jmod? Shoot me a PM man. About the car, get an older 5.0 GT and mod it, with that amount of money you can basically build your car like you want. Trucks are cool, but you'll get tired, unless you mod the truck to :D I've been leaning on buying a SRT4 Neon, I dont know why, all of the sudden I got the urge in buying one, even tho they are fwd, does lil mofos give you 21-23 mpg per tank, not bad uh? So, I would say, get an older GT (89-93) or get a newer GT (99-04).

Israel

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really want to get the older 5.0 gt. Nothing against it, but I would like to try to get something newer. No matter how well a car is built time and miles will always lead to problems. If I can I would like to stay somewhere around the 2000 and up years.

Let me check tonight to see what I paid for everything for the j-mod so I can give you an accurate price that will be beneficial to both of us. :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd go for a clean, low mileage, (30K miles or less), '97 or '98 Mark VIII LSC. Since they aren't in very much demand, they can often be had for pennies on the dollar. I just sold my '97, ('needed to get a small van, but 'kept my T-Bird), and it was by far the most comfortable and reliable car I've ever owned. You can really do a lot to them in the go-fast department if you want.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
johnaec said:
I'd go for a clean, low mileage, (30K miles or less), '97 or '98 Mark VIII LSC. Since they aren't in very much demand, they can often be had for pennies on the dollar. I just sold my '97, ('needed to get a small van, but 'kept my T-Bird), and it was by far the most comfortable and reliable car I've ever owned. You can really do a lot to them in the go-fast department if you want.
I'll second that! Just yesterday I priced the Gen II's and about had a coronary. The NADA and Kelley Blue Books are putting them at about 4K to 8K for an excellent LSC with average mileage (110,000).

Apparently the bottom has fallen out of them, because when I bought mine a couple of years ago, it appraised at $12K! :beek:

If you want faster for less money (but maybe more mileage) the Gen I's are going for next to nothing.

Good luck and sorry to hear about the wreck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You won't find an 02 SS for 8K, but I've seen some clean LS1 cars (98+) go for well under 10K. I just saw a 1998 Z28 with a slipping trans go for $3500. A fully built trans is $1200, so it'd be pretty cheap once you got it fixed. I've seen a lot of nice 98-99 cars for $6000 up here. They are great cars, really good drivers if you don't get crazy with the mods. I got 29MPG from mine stock on the highway. And you'll love the power :)

Ed

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. The mark is a good idea. I like the look and they are very comfortable, however finding one with low mileage might be hard.

Keep in mind that I am looking for a car at the most $14,000, not $8,000 my original wording is a bit confusing, so that should open up some more possibilities.

edg1957, you seem to know your Camaro's. Are there any blatant problems or certain years to stay away from? I see many going for cheap, expecially those v6's, but I know if I go that route I want the v8, preferably SS, and obviously as new as I can afford.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I sold my first t-bird after I got my Camaro, now that it is more of a race car I bought another t-bird for a driver :)

My advice on the f-body's is get the newest you can afford. They are all good cars, but they got faster as they got newer. Get a 1998 or up, the 1997 and back is a LT1 engine, not nearly as powerful out of the box as an LS1. A modified 1998 can be as fast as an 02, but bone stock the 02 will beat it. SS is not that big of a deal. I din't get it because it was almost $5000 more, and it is just a hood scoop, exhaust, shocks, and stickers. If you find a deal go ahead, they have more bling factor, but the Z-28 is just as fast.
- The power trains on the cars are great. The rears are a weak link once you start racing, I blew my 10 bolt and replaced it with a 12 bolt. The bodies are a marginal design, the doors are long and heavy, it is hard to see out of, huge blind spots, they have a stupid hump on the passenger side where the cat-convertor used to be, and the GM power window motors are notorious for failing. I have replaced one on my car already. But I'll never give it up.

Check www.ls1tech.com, they are the biggest f-body forum out there, and there are lots of cars for sale all the time. As lots of good info for you to read up on. I don't want to keep posting pro GM stuff on this obviously Ford forum :)

For under $14K I have seen some very nicely modified cars out there. Here is one in my local forum:
http://www.fbodycentral.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32886

Ed

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the info edg1957. I did ask for ideas of new cars, so I believe non-Fords can be discussed in this special circumstance. :)

I'm not set on a camaro, just something I always wanted. I figured the blind spots would be ridiculous in those things but they are like mustangs where you can get every performance part possible in 12 different flavors instead of looking for other car's parts they may fit the t-bird.

Anyone else feel free to post ideas as well or different cars that you prefer. I wish I could buy a new car and not have to worry about what previous owners might or might not have done, but unfortunately the money just isn't there right now.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, bear with me here. I have listed below some of the cars I may be interested in. As you can see, I am kind of torn between more performance or luxury. Keep in mind it will be a daily driver and I am trying to work my way up in a law firm where image is important. Please give me any advice, or knowledge, wether good or bad on the cars listed below. THANKS!

Camaro Z-28 or SS as new as I can get
Mustang GT or if I can find a Cobra pre 05' style
Mistubishi Diamante as new as I can get
Nissan Altima/Maxima - Newer body style
Cadilac Catera as new as I can get

I'd like to stay with a relatively newer car, 2000+, with hopefully around or under 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Just from an "opinion" standpoint, here's my take on those cars. I've never owned any of them, so I don't have any first hand knowledge, just my opinion.

504 Bird said:
Camaro Z-28 or SS as new as I can get Nice power, but everyone has one
Mustang GT or if I can find a Cobra pre 05' style Same as above
Mistubishi Diamante as new as I can get I don't know anything about this car, so I can't comment
Nissan Altima/Maxima - Newer body style This would be my pick of this list
Cadilac Catera as new as I can get IMHO, overpriced for what you get
What is your opinion on the Grand Prix GTP (not the new body style :zpuke:, but the 03 and earlier)? Nice all around car with plenty of power and potential and right there in the price range.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
How about a 99 Supercharged Riviera?? The body is sleek, just throw some nice rims on it, lower it a bit, tint and you're done. They look good in black. Might be to "grandpa-ish" for ya and it front-wheel drive, but just throwing it out there. The 3800 V6 from GM seems to be a pretty reliable motor, and we already know the Eaton is a decent supercharger.

Jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
FordMan77 said:
How about a 99 Supercharged Riviera?? The body is sleek, just throw some nice rims on it, lower it a bit, tint and you're done. They look good in black. Might be to "grandpa-ish" for ya and it front-wheel drive, but just throwing it out there. The 3800 V6 from GM seems to be a pretty reliable motor, and we already know the Eaton is a decent supercharger.

Jay
Yep the GTP Pontiacs are no joke either. I've also seen the GT Mustangs going for good prices now that the 05's are out. An 03 Cobra would be nice, but I haven't seen any for 14K yet.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
94DD,

I agree completely that everyone has a camaro and mustang. Although I don't always want to blend in with everyone, it must also say a little something for the cars that so many people have them.

I saw a Diamante when I bought my Bird. I don't know much either except it is comfortable and pretty luxurious. I don't know much about the v6 in it though.

I know Cadillac's are always higher just because of the name but I saw a couple within my price range. I know you haven't owned one, but what makes you think it is overpriced for what you get?

I thought about the grand prix's. I know this sounds fickle, but the Pontiac's red gauge lights drive me nuts!

FordMan77,

I'm not a big fan of Buick as a whole or that car. I don't like the lines of it and I see too many sitting on rims already.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You stated RWD, and the Mitsubishi and Nissan are both FWD.

I still say Mark VIII - for under $14K you should be able to get a *mint* '97 or '98 with less than 30K miles, or for about $10K something with around 50K miles, with $$ left over for upgrades. These are starting to turn up quite a bit in places like Florida, where retired folks are selling or trading them in pretty regular. It also has the 4.6L DOHC - lots of people have even put blowers on them. And with the right wheels, they look killer, and are a real sleeper! Check out some of the rides at www.markviii.org and www.mark8.org .

Edit: Here's an example of what can be done with the Mark VIII:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
edg1957 said:
Yep the GTP Pontiacs are no joke either. I've also seen the GT Mustangs going for good prices now that the 05's are out. An 03 Cobra would be nice, but I haven't seen any for 14K yet.
I have seen the same with the Mustangs with the demand for the 05's. I would love to get my hands on a 03 Cobra, but I think I would have to fight off half this club to get to it!

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can find some Lightnings around for 15k.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
504 Bird said:
I know Cadillac's are always higher just because of the name but I saw a couple within my price range. I know you haven't owned one, but what makes you think it is overpriced for what you get?
The Cateras weren't real Cadillacs. They were just rebadged opels. From what I've heard from people, they're money pits. However, the STS would make a nice car.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
504 Bird said:
My neighbor has one and everytime I see it, I think it's a Honda! :beek:

2001 Catera Specs:
Horsepower 200 @ 5500 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 195 @ 4700 RPM
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3770
2001 MSRP: $31,305

I just felt that for $31K you should get more car.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Since we're talking Cadillacs...

2000 Eldorado Specs ($14K to $17K):
Horsepower 300 @ 5500 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 295 @ 4700 RPM
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3876
2001 MSRP: $43,000

These cars were in direct competion with the Mark VIII up until 98. And these are SWEET cars even if they are front wheel drive. But I would hate to think what maintenance might run! :beek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts