TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, So I installed my T-Stat last night, blah, blah no problems. Car ran REAL nice and cool. This morning, the temp was rising, and more steam. Well I get her home, she's steaming bad, and almost empty on coolant. But last night, there were NO PROBLEMS. And we take it off, and see there is a crack in the T-stat housing, BUT it does not go all the way through. So, we think the crack allows fluid to come up, and is so hot it steams thru the seal.
If the Tstat housing is broke, is a new manifold required?
Also, does the gasket ring sit on top of the T-stat itself, or around the connecting piece on the radiator hose? It seems like there should be some other sealant between the connecting hose and the T-Stat housing..... am I missing something?

THANKS

·
It is nice
885 Posts
i just changed mine on my 4.6.

first, if the housing is cracked you can buy that seperate dont need manifold. the housing is only the peice that u take off connected to the top radiator hose not the part under it. recheck where the crack is make sure the manifold is not cracked... no gasket sealer is needed and the gaskets are reusable in teh housing but get new ones if they look bad. one gasket goes on top of the thermostat, and other inside the housing so they meet. they didn't have new ones at the store so i reused mine.

·
It is nice
885 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, im talking about the T-stat housing...as where it sits. It sits in the fluid, in the part that looks to be attached to the manifold.

Does the gasket ring sit on top of the T-stat or around the part you just send me a link to?

·
It is nice
885 Posts
yea that part is the housing in the pic if thats cracked thats all u need to buy. ok if your lookin down onto the thermostat you see the pointed end facing up. the o-ring gasket goes on top of that. also the matching housing has a gasket inside of it and they meet together. there is a certain direction that they go though; on the gaskets one side is flat other comes to a point. ill try to search for a pic.

·
Registered
654 Posts
O-Ring is around the radiator
hose connector - I'm assuming your intake manifold is made of all plastic :mad:
You should update to the Intake with the aluminum crossover - THe original
factory intakes are known to crack

Does the gasket ring sit on top of the T-stat or around the part you just send me a link to?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I feel dumb,
You say the O-ring is on the radiator? You mean the part that bolts onto the manifold right?

So, I guess I need to get a new intake right? Or JUST the aluminum cross over? But if I plan on getting the P-51. should I buy the P-51 now?
How much for JUST the cross over?
Do I need anything to install it? I just need to be able to drive.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
ok..now ur confusing me lol. when u drop in the thermostat spring side down into the manifold, the o-ring goes on top of the t-stat. i believe the pointed end of the gasket goes up flat side touching t-stat. then the gasket meets the housing when u bolt it down.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought O-ring was used as the gasket?
What is the Gasket then? I ordered it from Lonnie, only got a T-stat and O-ring?
Am I missing something? Did something get lost?

·
It is nice
885 Posts
lol i just calling the o-ring the gasket o-ring goes on top of the thermostat pointed end up but make sure im not positive on that should meet with housing to make seal.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
come to think of it the o-ring probably goes pointed end down on top of the t-stat, hell i might check now i forget someone else probly knows for sure.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my O-ring seems to have no points.....hahaa so I was confused.
It came in a bag, ford part- but I dont see any "points"

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
drop the Tstat in, spring down, then put O-ring in (gasket, same thing...there is only one)....the O-ring gasket has no up-down or anything...just drop it in on top of Tstat

if the part that you remove to get to the Tstat is damaged, then that is replaceable by itself....if the part where the Tstat sits on is damaged, and you have an all-plastic manifold, then you need a new manifold

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GM- So I can't put a new (alum.) crossover on it? I have to buy a whole new manifold?
SWEEEET
I guess I have an excuse to buy the P-51 Now :D

I am going to make one last effort to try and fix it, if I need a new manifold.
The crack does not go all the way through, it is just a little internal, which allows fluid to sneak up, then spray out as a gas/steam.
It seems like there should be something between the T-stat housing and the part where it bolts to the manifold.......How is that seal going to be sufficient?

·
Registered
347 Posts
It sounds like you torqued down the screws a little too hard and cracked the plastic manifold. Look for even the smallest hairline of a crack, it will cause what you are speaking of.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah i'm guessing that's what happened, but it ran for one full day, NO PROBLEMS- ran real cool and good.
Then, the next morning- it was spewing out coolant like there was no tomorrow.

How come it worked for a full 24 hours perfectly- then the next day it just craps everywhere?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ok, you need to provide better, more descriptive information about your application? If you didnt crack the housing that is connected to the upper hose, you cracked the front crossover. What you havent told us is that the manifold you have already has an aluminum crossover on it already? Or is the manifold all composite? If all composite, then you have to replace the entire manifold, if it has the aluminum crossover, you can get a crossover from Ford. The P51 is overrated, I dont care what MMFF says, Ask Danner.

Also, changing the manifold is really quite simple, about as straightfoward as you can get. Dont overtorque the damn bolts, It failed because the operator got a wee bit overzealous with the wrench.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty sure it is all composite. I know for sure the front crossover is composite, and im 99% sure the entire intake manifold is too. I bought the car with only 21K on it, a year ago. An old man owned it in Indiana, so I'm pretty sure he never had anything done to it, it was M-I-N-T.
But what exactly do I check to make sure it's all composite?

If the P-51 is overrated, what do you recommend? And how much? Where?
Cause if I need a new manifold, I'm ordering one monday morning.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ThunderBeast86 said:
I'm pretty sure it is all composite. I know for sure the front crossover is composite, and im 99% sure the entire intake manifold is too. I bought the car with only 21K on it, a year ago. An old man owned it in Indiana, so I'm pretty sure he never had anything done to it, it was M-I-N-T.
But what exactly do I check to make sure it's all composite?

If the P-51 is overrated, what do you recommend? And how much? Where?
Cause if I need a new manifold, I'm ordering one monday morning.

get a replacement manifold either on ebay or from another forum member for cheap so you have a running car. Dont go to Ford for it, it will cost you a few hundred...Its easy to check if you have the all composite manifold, the front crossover is either aluminum or it isnt.

Well, if you want to get a hi flow manifold, you really need to start giving us better descriptive application info, not how bad teh situation sucks or why it isnt working. On the premise that you will be spending about 5 grand for a motor, youhavent said whether you will be using PI or PNI head, whether the heads will have a different port match on it or not. For availability sake, i would go with the Bullittand make sure the heads you are using have a PI port.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sounds like the car is all original which means it is using NPI heads and intake. If you have to replace the intake anyway, (and you don't have 1000 to spend on a Bullitt intake) then get a PI intake. I haven't done it but I have read that it is a fairly easy swap to do and it will gain you some power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts