TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay had a failure of my T45. That's what I get for buying one real cheap from a junk yard, but it lasted me 4 years. So this time I went with New. I purchased the T56 magnum from American Muscle. My reasoning for this is my car is already set up for the T45 and it was a pretty straight forward swap. This is not a cheap swap by any means due to the cost of the transmission.

Things you should know going into this.. The clutch is 26 spline unlike the stock t45 clutches so that had to be changed. The T56 magnum has 3 positions for the shifter they are all anterior to the T45 position. The driveshaft had to be shortened again and a few additional wiring items purchased.

The t56 Bellhousing bolts to the block separate from the t56. This made life a lot easier in comparison to the T45. You do not need to purchase a universal bell housing just get one from a 03-04 cobra that came with a T56.

The mount for the T56 is a GM poly universal trans mount bought at any autozone. The modification to the transmission crossmember is minimal. From the stock position you just need to drill lateral to the stock position. This is much better then the T45 that barely fit on the crossmember. The exhaust holders are no longer used. They can be cut off but I didn't bother.

I continued to use my set up from the T45 with the hydraulic throwout bearing but this can easily be changed for your application.

The T56 has a reverse lock out. It can easily be wired to your brake pedal if you want to save the money on the Accutach.

We used both the VSS and OSS on this transmission. The T45 gear was used going to the Speedcal and the electronic speed sensor was connected to the Accutach for the reverse lock out.

The tunnel did not have to be expanded as the mustang guys report.

Inside- the hole that was made in the floor pan for the T45 shifter was expanded anteriorly slightly to accommodate the t56 shifter. The shifter bolts are 3/8 - 24.

Next I just reconnected the dummy shifter with a longer link. applied some sound proofing and recalibrated the speedcal.

Parts
T56 magnum
T56 bellhousing
26 spline clutch
GM poly trans mount
Reverse lock out pigtail
T56 speed sensor pigtail
T56 Reverse Pigtail
Accutach VSS/OSS T56 reverse lockout unit
Driveshaft length 59 7/8 tail to flange (always re-measure for your application)

Overall the conversion from a T45 to a T56 magnum took 2 weekends with no lift. Obviously if doing this from a stock car you would need additional modifications and tuning.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
I hope you took a lot of photos in the process! Also, just out of curiousity, any reason you went with the t56 instead of the tr-6060 or the getrag mt-82? It seems to me that either one of those would be the easiest way to get a 6-speed into one of these cars.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I hope you took a lot of photos in the process! Also, just out of curiousity, any reason you went with the t56 instead of the tr-6060 or the getrag mt-82? It seems to me that either one of those would be the easiest way to get a 6-speed into one of these cars.
The 6060 forces you to use the speedcal, I would assume (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the t-56 Magnum since it has both mechanical and electric speedo options would allow you to just bolt it up.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The MT-82 is basically terrible. If you add an MGW shifter, it helps, but it still is not great.

The magnum XL will be replacing my MT82, if it ever goes, assuming I still have the car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy has the pics on his phone. I'll try to get him to post. Yes the t56 magnum has both mechanical and electronic and was a quick swap which is why I did it. From the t45 to the t56 magnum it was rather simple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts