TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the car back from the tuner today and drove to get new tires. When the tire guy tried to start the car to put it in the shop, it wouldn't start, so we jumped it off and it started right up. They changed the tires and then we had to jump it again to get out of the garage. When the idiot was trying to hook up the jumper cables, he gounded out the positive connection (spark show). We got it started and it ran great. About Halk way home the tach needle dropped down and was jumping between 500-1000 rpm really quick spasms. It came back and read right for a few seconds and then did the spasm thing again and then just died and went to 0.
I have the battery on a trickle charger now, I am at work.
Any ideas as to why the tach would quit? Where does the tach get its signal?
I am not sure about the battery dying issue yet, could have run down while the car was getting tuned and just hadn't fully charged yet. I am going to read it out with a multimeter in the morning. Could a not quite charged battery cause the tach to do this?
Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I charged the battery while I was at work. I unhooked the charger when I got home. The battery held a charge all night.
I started the car and was only getting appox. 13 volts while running. I removed the alternator and took it to the auto parts store to have it checked, it checked out fine. I got a can of electrical cleaner and cleaned it up a bit and re-installed. At first I was getting over 14 volts while running, now it has dropped to 12-13 volts while running, and the tach is working again.
So, I t looks like I am chasing a charging problem now.
I am wondering if I don't have enough belt on the alternator pulley and if it is slipping.
Any other ideas out there? Voltage regulator should be good as I had the alternator tested.
Thanks.
Scott

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that I have it fixed.
I added a grounding wire to the alternator, cleaned up the battery terminals and bypassed the idler puller on the supercharger bracket to get more belt on the alternator pulley. I am getting right around 14 volts while running with the cooling fan running also.

Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
YEs Its probley the battry I would replace the battry try that if its not that then have a bad tac wire somewere I would try the ground wire first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting I am currently having a similiar problem with my tach altough it is not totally dead. When driving it goes in the opposite direction then its supposed to. Like say its supposed to be at 2000rpm's it will be pined at 0 instead. When I let off the gas it will go up to about 400.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts