TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me! This one has me confused. I was doing 70mph while on the interstate the other day. My tach. needle, which always reads 2000rpm at 70, suddenly dropped to just below 1000 and hovered around 800-900rpm - at 70mph! When I let off the gas and dropped to 60 the tach went back up to 1700-1800 range and stayed there. Again when I went to 70, the tach read 2000 briefly then again dropped to 800-900rpm. When I took her up to 85 the tach operated normally, reading about 2600-2700 rpm. Whenever I went back around 70 the needle dropped below 1000rpm. I drove it like that for 5 - 6 miles, the whole time my tach reading 800 or so rpm at 70mph. During this time my car drove just fine with no hiccups. I had no problem getting speed and noticed no hesitations when steeping on it. What might cause my tachometer to do this?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Unfortunately, your tachometer is going out. It does not have any effect on engine performance because the pcm already has the reading it needs. You can either buy a new tach from ford to replace into your cluster, or find an instrument cluster and remove the tach from it to use in your own. You should look for an instrument cluster from a 94-96 model.

·
Registered
165 Posts
... or you could always install a mini-tach on an A-pillar gauge pod...?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts