TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched and couldnt find this and I have been searching the net and still cant find this. What LED's are used in the tailight panel? Does anyone know the package size? I will post up pics when I get home if it will help someone tell me what they are. But I have been searching and I can not find them.

I need the size because im working on a sequential taillight mod and I know how to make it work...i know how to lay the board out. I just need to know what LED's are used. I want to make it look as stock as possible. So any help on identifying these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The stock LED's are square and the boards they were on were produced by HP....no longer in production, good luck finding the proper LED's...there have been a couple people to have found something similar. Your best bet would be to try and find a broken panel, and get the LED's out of it, or at least get one of the LED's so you could try and match it.

·
8,239 Posts
surely there are a million aftermarket companies that make LED's that you could install but the tough part would be sawing the light open and re-sealing it when you are done.

JH

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joel: I know all that, I got it from the Tech article on how to get it open. But theres not identifying what package type the LED is. thats what im wanting to know. Then it would be alot easier to find some comparably. I have already found replacements, but I would like to know technical specs on it. As in foward voltage drop, which I have calculated to be about 1.74 volts.

Justin: Already have a panel, already have the LED strip out and sitting on my table. Pretty slick how they got 20 leds to light up, anyways, i know how the circuit works...and I know how to lay mine out for my project. Just wanting to know about these LEDs. I want it as stock as possible.

94: Yes like that. But im avoiding paying that, cause I can make it myself.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Im working on it as we speak. Since I have random LED's. Have to play with resistor values to get the current through that I want. But thats not hard. Just taking time out of school at night and not working on project lab to get it done. I think I should have my test circuit done tonight.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Not cheap to say the least!!! :beek:
Yeah, I wonder if they've ever sold any, charging that much and you still have to cut open and reseal the light yourself.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just an update, Ive got it to work to a point, but im not to happy with how its working, so im investigate an alternative, might be a cheaper way of doing it and more reliable with less parts. Ill keep it updated.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
97mn-12 said:
Joel: I know all that, I got it from the Tech article on how to get it open. But theres not identifying what package type the LED is. thats what im wanting to know.

There is no comparable replacement LED. They were custom made by Hewlett Packard for Ford. I confirmed this by speaking with Hewlett-Packard, and the companies that they sold the LED division off to.

As I recall, they were a standard size LED, (5mm square), but they had a unique mounting prong pattern (3-leg vs. the standard 4), which no one else offers.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i noticed that. Im more than sure the 4 legs arent gonna be any different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts