TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I've destroyed my OEM one, It's not easy to cut the entire back assembly off... It's not glued, it's melted together.

The slot at the bottom is the best way and when I get my replacements I'll put up a How-To on it.
Thank you for undertaking this effort. Many TB's need this panel fix. I've been thinking about doing this for years. I just bought the LED strips and will wait until you finish your write-up before proceeding.

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
No because the outer lights are irrelevant to the topic. The trunklid tails don't use 3157 bulbs, those would be the outermost lights. But since you brought it up, the aftermarket LEDs generally have almost indistinguishable brake light output from the regular taillights. The only ones I've seen that seem to have decent output are the ones sold by west coast classic Cougar, but they're 1157 only.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No because the outer lights are irrelevant to the topic. The trunklid tails don't use 3157 bulbs, those would be the outermost lights. But since you brought it up, the aftermarket LEDs generally have almost indistinguishable brake light output from the regular taillights. The only ones I've seen that seem to have decent output are the ones sold by west coast classic Cougar, but they're 1157 only.
There is absolutely nowhere in my Tbird owner's guide, bulb spec. chart for trunk lid tails; which gave cause for my confusion. So, what's inside the housing other than the LED strip? My lamp looks just like the one in the OP pic. What is illuminating the housing, just a bad LED strip?

·
Registered
408 Posts
So, what's inside the housing other than the LED strip? My lamp looks just like the one in the OP pic. What is illuminating the housing, just a bad LED strip?
Only LED's are used for the tail/trunk decoration. Since there are so many LED's, illumination is high enough and adequately dispersed by the LED reflector and the diffusion lens.
Typical failure modes are shorts or PCB damage due to water incursion via bad plastic weld, broken PCB traces, and cold solder joints.

LED's of the 90's weren't available in high enough lumen levels to [affordably] use a small number of them in the relatively narrow interior high-mount stop lamp assembly, so we have the craptastic incandescent design, which typically results in FUBAR'd red lens, lamp housing, and often the bulb sockets themselves due to the extreme heat.

My exterior stop lamp lenses are melted inside from the incandescent heat. A bulb blew years ago on my passenger's side, and I had to reach in with really long nose pliers and tweezers to extract bulb fragments which had welded themselves into the lens! Fortunately, the exterior stop lamp lenses still look ok after such melting, unlike the interior high-mount stop lens.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Got my new Alltronics LED rear panel light strips today. Very well made and right length - with the same electrical connector as the original. Looking forward to the pending instructions to install these light strips.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts