TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tailgating - too close!

(Thanks GregK ...you caused me to think if this had been covered before...I searched, nada thing under misc.)

Ok, so what's your take and/or what do you do? Now of course there's times when people get close (traffic jam, start and stop) but when with flowing, light traffic...what do you do?

My 'rule' says if you wanna tail gate me, they better be able to one, stop faster, two, have more power and three pass me because I will block them, slow down, make the nose dive and the a$$ squat, basically make their driving life a living hell, rewarding them for being such a considerate person. No really, I love blinding headlights in my mirrors and having a car in my backseat, I really do. There's no excuse for tailgating if I'm going the speedlimit or over ...which I'm usually at least 5/10 over. I'm rarely closer than 5 car lengths on the highway unless I want to pass and it's a little tight, other than that, I behave. Oh, and if they want to follow me I'm sure the 4000 officers that work next door would love to say hi. :D

Anyway, your take on it?

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i only tailgate on the weekends. mainly saturday. and even then i usually only do it up at the horseshoe with a few buddies, a few chicks, a few beers, and a barbecue. and even then i dont get too close to the stadium.

:D

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chilipepprflea said:
a few chicks, a few beers
two things you can't do :D :D :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
Fubarian said:
(Thanks GregK ...you caused me to think if this had been covered before...I searched, nada thing under misc.)

Ok, so what's your take and/or what do you do? Now of course there's times when people get close (traffic jam, start and stop) but when with flowing, light traffic...what do you do?

My 'rule' says if you wanna tail gate me, they better be able to one, stop faster, two, have more power and three pass me because I will block them, slow down, make the nose dive and the a$$ squat, basically make their driving life a living hell, rewarding them for being such a considerate person. No really, I love blinding headlights in my mirrors and having a car in my backseat, I really do. There's no excuse for tailgating if I'm going the speedlimit or over ...which I'm usually at least 5/10 over. I'm rarely closer than 5 car lengths on the highway unless I want to pass and it's a little tight, other than that, I behave. Oh, and if they want to follow me I'm sure the 4000 officers that work next door would love to say hi. :D

Anyway, your take on it?
I agree...If I can't see someones headlight outta my back window then they are to close so I have to do break check and see if they are paying attention. My husband really catches tailgaters off guard. Instead of doing a break check, he drops his truck down to low gear and it slows down really fast without breaklights. I know he has made many people s**t their pants but after that they don't do it again. I havn't tried that yet but knowing my luck, i'll catch the idoit off guard and they will hit me. Definally don't recommend this but this is a subject that really irritates me:mad:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yea i basically dont get bothered unless the road is wide open and im going a few over the speed limit and their still determined to ride my butt. I especially hate it at night...i cant stand the lights blinding me...its like these inconsiderete morons expect me to go faster when i cant see anything cuz their lights are blinding me! I mean yea the mirror shade helps but you still get blinding from the side mirrors. I dont do brake checks or anyhting, i just like to go slow so they have to follow me somehow, if its a two lane road i find some old poeple who are coasting. I get right up next to them and hold the same speed then act like im slowing down so the jerk off behind me switches lanes thinking hes gonna get past me :)...well then i speed up some so they switch back to my lane...and repeat until someone turns :) I used to get really freaking ticked off about them, but now, i get a big kick out of ruining their day :)

Greg

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fubar 1
Chili 0

sorry, back on topic :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
GregK said:
Yea i basically dont get bothered unless the road is wide open and im going a few over the speed limit and their still determined to ride my butt. I especially hate it at night...i cant stand the lights blinding me...its like these inconsiderete morons expect me to go faster when i cant see anything cuz their lights are blinding me! I mean yea the mirror shade helps but you still get blinding from the side mirrors. I dont do brake checks or anyhting, i just like to go slow so they have to follow me somehow, if its a two lane road i find some old poeple who are coasting. I get right up next to them and hold the same speed then act like im slowing down so the jerk off behind me switches lanes thinking hes gonna get past me :)...well then i speed up some so they switch back to my lane...and repeat until someone turns :) I used to get really freaking ticked off about them, but now, i get a big kick out of ruining their day :)

Greg
I do that to:D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sorry, the left lane is for passing. If your just lounging around with no particular place to go..... move over to the right lane. :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Eric Z. said:
Sorry, the left lane is for passing. If your just lounging around with no particular place to go..... move over to the right lane. :)
Argeed. If someone is tailgating you they are trying to tell you to MOVE OVER. Slower traffic keep right means all speeds, even if they aren't legal. If your doing 140mph, and someone is coming up on you doing 150mph, you should more over, and let them pass.

I'll flash my lights before tail gating that close....I usually stay 3 seconds back, but when there is a slow @ss, I'll move into 1 car length.

Now, if your talking about a single lane road.....there is no excuse for tailgating. besides, if you start a couple seconds back, you can drop the hammer sooner and pass them quicker on the straight away.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
There are alot of really dumb drivers here.

People that are driving slow in the fast lane, or driving the EXACT same speed as the car next to them, which pisses me off.

I tend to be close to tailgating, because I drive fast, but I do it to tell people to move over. If someone comes up on my butt, I move over, or speed up to their speed and then move over.

Also the people who don't move over so than you can merge from a ramp, that REALLY gets me going....

There should be driving classes for some people... mandatory.. :D

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I've been rear-ended twice, once by a dumptruck. His bumper ended up at the base of my rear window in my '82 Tbird. Both because they were dealing with, or thinking about food. So I get a bit worked up when someone is on my *** on the road.

I tend to not put up with them now. My neck is messed up from the accidents.

The most recent time, I slowed down for traffic, rolled my window down and yelled at the guy to "GET THE **** OFF MY ***!!". He did.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Gotta love ABS brake checks.
I can't lock up my brakes. Can you? Wanna find out?

Wanna buy me a new car? Then get off my ***.

It especially ticks me off on the PA Turnpike or I-80 where I'm already going 90MPH or so and some ******* is right up mine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I spend quite a bit of time in LA and what you ppl think is tailgating, is normal driving distance. If you leave more than a car length someone will pull in the lane. If your front wheel has room so does the car.

Brake checking is against the law and so is blocking traffic flow.

I know it is irratating however you learn to deal with it. Just pull over it is not that hard.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Some dude in an F-150 was tailgating me on wide open road the other day, I went a little faster, he stayed on my bumper, I slowed down a little, he stayed on my bumper. I just kicked it down a gear and put about a 1/2 mile on him, end of problem.

Most of the the time if I'm in the right lane and there's someone on my butt that won't go away, I just gradually slow down to about 10 or 15 under the limit and open up a really big gap between me and the car ahead of me. Usually deters them enough that they pass me with a really annoyed look on their face ;-) Either that, or if there's some open road, I'll just goose it and put some distance between us.

I don't ever block the left lane because why should I piss off everyone else just for this one moron tail gating me? Find a truck to pass, then move over in front of it and don't give the jerk enough room to get in behind you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
aduty said:
I spend quite a bit of time in LA and what you ppl think is tailgating, is normal driving distance. If you leave more than a car length someone will pull in the lane. If your front wheel has room so does the car.

Brake checking is against the law and so is blocking traffic flow.

I know it is irratating however you learn to deal with it. Just pull over it is not that hard.
Very good point... we drive ALOT different here in the city, than when I was in the country.. country people drive SLOW...

the main beltline here is 55mph speed limit... morning traffic does about 70-75.. that is typical... EVERY morning...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I neat trick I learned for dealing with tailgaters at night is this: Adjust your rearview mirror to reflect the a**holes headlights in their eyes! I did that one time to a guy who was riding my tail on a two lane blacktop. It really got his attention. :uppoint:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts