TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I saw that video a few weeks ago. I was circulating around my office for a few days. Yeah wow is about all I can say to that. I used to climb telephone poles on climbing spikes, the kind like what lumber jacks use to go up trees, the ones that attach to your boot. I never made it past 40 feet. No way I'm doing 1700 feet, no thanks, lol. But know this, them guys are paid EXTREMELY well for what they do.

·
Super Moderator
7,491 Posts
Anyone know how much those guys get paid? I'm not at all afraid of heights, but my stomach was in my throat just watching that. That is intense!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
No freakin' way. I'm not afraid of heights, but there is no freakin' way I would climb all the way up that tower.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Yeah that video has been floating around the net. Takes a lot of guts to do that job. I've worked on a 110 ft. aerial ladder and rescue training, but none of that compares to what those guys are doing. :eek:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
What did they go up for? I can imagine working up there is a lot harder than climbing up there. Also, the trip down is probably more difficult as well. It would probably be safer if they dangled from a helicopter and grabbed onto the top of the tower.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
He takes an elevator to 1600.
A friend of mine did work on the 1000' towers in So. Fl.
He asked me "how would I get rescued if I ahd a medical emergency".
I told him you would probally die, because you took the elevator to the top and Iwas not climbing a ladder 1k feet, carrking a 40lb. bag of medical supplies.
He then asks, "couldn't you hoist the medical equipment with a rope".
Sorry, our longest ropes on our TRT truck is 300'.
Your dead and we will leave your rotting carcass up there for the vultures.
Remember, some times there is nothing the Fire Department can do to get people out of trouble.:D

·
Super Moderator
7,491 Posts
What did they go up for? I can imagine working up there is a lot harder than climbing up there. Also, the trip down is probably more difficult as well. It would probably be safer if they dangled from a helicopter and grabbed onto the top of the tower.
The video cut out before they did anything, but I was just imagining 2 guys climing all that way and risking their life just to change a light bulb or something.

As far as the trip down, if I was doing that job I would invest in a good parachute and when it was all said and done I would just take a dive off the tower and pull the cord once I was a safe distance away. They probably have rules against that or something though.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I used to work on the equipment at the bottom of the towers years ago, And now deal with the software side of telecom . Still at times have go change out a bad card or the sort.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Makes me definitely want to stay in college now. Screw that!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My wife is sick to her stomach right now from watching that vid lol. I hope those guys get paid lots and lots of money for doing that. Somebody needs to buy them a BEER, hell lots of BEER!!! I really really need a job, but I won't take one like that, you can bet on that! Scared the hell out of me just watching that :D

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
i know right... i nearly got sick just watching it. also, it takes a lot of strength to climb that last 150-200 feet. even if i could do it mentally, i don't think i would have the strength to do it physically. i guess the adrenalin helps with that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You probably couldnt get me to ride the elevator to 1600 ft, let alone getting out into the open air. I dont care how much you paid me.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
We used to pay a guy here in Atlanta to climb the dinky 300' towers to change light bulbs, $2500 a pop. I can only imagine what that translates into for a 1700' tower. And yes it may not sound hard to ride an elevator to 1600' and climb that last 100' -150' but believe me it takes way more strength that you would think. I watched a guy in relatively good shape, climb up a tower for about 70' and couldnt make it another step. And it took him about an hour to get enough strength to come back down that 70'. Also from what I understand from the tower guys I know, the reason they usually have to go to the top, is to change light bulbs. It's FCC or FAA law that the bulb cant be out for very long.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Yeah, I know my fat arse couldn't do that. Climbing takes a lot of strength, especially when you have 20+ lbs of tools tied to you the whole way up.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
I've climed a few three hundered footers in my time. It's an adventure, that's for sure.

Here's a little lesson on towers.

There are three basic types of towers.

• Monopole - Those are most often used for cell phone antennas and are generally limited to 200'
  • Self supporting - The kind that have a four leg foundation similar to the big towers that support large power lines. These are usually around 300'
  • Guy Wire Towers - These are the mack daddy of them all and the one in this video is a biggie!
I've climbed them all. To me the scariest is the monopole. Those things are flimsy! When you get half way up a monopole and look down and the bottom of the tower is moving one direction, the middle another direction and you're at the top moving the same or another direction than the bottom of the tower now, that's just freaky. These towers will "wiggle" in a S type motion when the wind picks up.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
As far as the trip down, if I was doing that job I would invest in a good parachute and when it was all said and done I would just take a dive off the tower and pull the cord once I was a safe distance away. They probably have rules against that or something though.
The hardest part of base jumping a tower is missing all the wires, lol.

One of my friends I used to do crazy sh*t with had someone land in two places. :eek:

Not like hitting a bridge in a wingsuit, but damn... :facepalm:

I've climbed them all. To me the scariest is the monopole. Those things are flimsy! When you get half way up a monopole and look down and the bottom of the tower is moving one direction, the middle another direction and you're at the top moving the same or another direction than the bottom of the tower now, that's just freaky. These towers will "wiggle" in a S type motion when the wind picks up.
That is among the most messed-up things Ive ever seen; made my knees feel funny, lol. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts