TCCoA Forums banner

Takes forever to get going....

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  cman2007 
#1 ·
My Bird is very slow at the Start, I dont know if the tranny is having trouble getting going or anything like that.

I replaced the spark plugs, that didnt do anything...Im clueless about Engine stuff...Any thought on what it could be?

#6 ·
RyanG said:
blah blah blah...clean your maf

blab blah blah....get the code scanned
:zwthstpd:

blah blah blah.... change oil filter, clean injectors, plugs, wires

#8 ·
ive had all the fluids changed after i bought it, changed air filter, I think ill get codes checked.

It also shakes a bit on idle...when i sit at a stop light for a couple seconds etc etc ...and it kidna rumbles...so i put it in neutral it stops so usually ill sit in neutral at lights.

Perhaps get tranny checked out too

If if comes to it I might just have to Put in a new create 5.0 and a nice strong tranny. And the old drive shaft out....now i just need the $9k to do it all....Ill stick to code check

#9 ·
Raptorchef said:

If if comes to it I might just have to Put in a new create 5.0 and a nice strong tranny. And the old drive shaft out....now i just need the $9k to do it all....Ill stick to code check
Dibs on the old equipment :)

(If I don't answer my phone tomorrow, I'm sleeping - going to go all night I think on this project)

#10 ·
I love these posts...........

Anyone know what's wrong with my car, because the Check Engine Light is on?

It is so much easier to diagnose over the internet, then to go someplace local and for anywhere from free to $30 bucks, get the codes, and find out for sure.

j/k But seriously, start by getting the codes, and post them here

#11 ·
down on power and a slightly rough idle....sounds like a dirty maf. go to autozone and get the codes scanned, clean your maf and reset the eec. thats free and might fix your problem. If the code comes back you can rule out a dirty maf and it cost you nothing.

Frank

#12 ·
dont do anything till you find out the code as theres a chance with little engine knowledge you could hurt something else, dont ask more online, get the code checked, or take it to 94 Tbird he may be able to find out whats broken as im sure he knows birds, find out the code man youll have an easyer time

#15 · (Edited)
Yeah, both banks are reading lean and a cylinder 4 missfire. Cylinder 4 missfire is random though, only happened a couple times on our trip to Autozone and back - seems to stick to real low RPMS and acceleration from a stop. ~WOT and it goes away.

I'm trying to connect the two.... :confused:

Aside from the random Missfire, I really didn't notice any drivability problems from the passenger seat....

(off to search)

-dubbsy

(if I had tools, yes, I'd just start taking stuff apart and checking it. But all of my tooks are in my other vehicle at home)

#17 ·
i just had a p0171 code and it took me 3 weeks (and 3 mechanics) to find out what it was. i had a very very small leak in one of my valve cover gaskets and it was messing with my pcv system. so a new gasket is all it needed and the problem was solved. do a search for p0171 and p0174. i found a ton of info on those two codes when i was trying to figure mine out. there are a bunch of possibilities with these two codes. First things i would check are the spark plugs, spark plug wires and o2 sensors. and clean the maf. if that doesnt take care of it then go throught the list of possibilties that you'll find when you search.

Frank

#18 ·
thats one thing, the two lean codes are either bad 02's or a bad maf, check those, i had the exact same problem a while ago, id say take your car to a ford dealer, tell them to run codes and find out whats broken, and for sure tune your car up, but theres more to it then just a tune up, the ford dealer can find out for around 100 bucks what exactly is wrong, i did that b/c my maf was reading ok and i thought my 02s were bad, they baro tested the maf, it was bad, even tho the voltage was alright, but sound to me like you got a bad maf and you need a tune up, or bad 02s and need a tune up

#19 ·
You might want to try cleaning the MAF and drive test it. If that doen't improve the problem, then try disconnecting the MAF and test driving. See if the accelaration issue goes away. It may not idle right, and may throw a code for the MAF being unplugged.

codes 0171 and 0174

HA41 DTCs P0172, P0174, P0171 AND P0175: FUEL SYSTEM AT THE CORRECTED ADAPTIVE LIMITS

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank (1) (cylinder #1) and DTC P0174 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel adaptive system is at the rich correction limit.

DTC P0172 bank (1) and DTC P0175 bank (2) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel adaptive system is at the lean correction limit.

DTCs HO2S Reference list:

-- HO2S-11 = DTCs P0171 and P0172

-- HO2S-21 = DTCs P0174 and P0175

Possible causes:

Fuel system

-- Excessive fuel pressure.

-- Leaking fuel injector(s).

-- High fuel pressure.

-- Low fuel pressure.

-- Contaminated injector(s)

Ignition

-- Spark plugs.

-- Plug wires.

-- Coils.

Induction system

-- Air leaks after the MAF.

-- Vacuum leaks.

-- Restricted air inlet.

-- PCV system.

-- Improperly seated dip stick.

Base engine

-- Oil overfill.

-- Cam timing.

-- Cylinder compression.

-- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S's.

l Check air intake for leaks, obstructions and damage.

l Check air filter, air filter housing for blockage.

l Verify fuel level.

l Verify integrity of the PCV system.

l Check for disconnected plug wires.

l Check for vacuum leaks.

l Verify customer did not run out of fuel.

l Are there any of the above concerns?

Yes
SERVICE as necessary. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
GO to «HA42».

Code 0304

Misfire Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):

P0301 - Cyl #1, Inj Test Pin 75

P0302 - Cyl #2, Inj Test Pin 101

P0303 - Cyl #3, Inj Test Pin 74

P0304 - Cyl #4, Inj Test Pin 100

P0305 - Cyl #5, Inj Test Pin 73

P0306 - Cyl #6, Inj Test Pin 99

P0307 - Cyl #7, Inj Test Pin 72

P0308 - Cyl #8, Inj Test Pin 98

P0300 - multiple cylinders misfiring, or cannot identify cylinder due to Camshaft Position sensor failure.

Possible causes:

-- Ignition System.

-- Fuel Injectors.

-- Fuel Pressure.

-- Evaporative System.

-- Canister Purge.

-- Base Engine.

-- Running out of fuel.

NOTE:
Running out of fuel may turn on the MIL and possibly store a Continuous Misfire DTC.

l Has the vehicle recently run out of fuel?

Yes
OBD II system OK. COMPLETE PCM RESET to clear DTCs (REFER to Section 2A, «Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset»). RETURN vehicle to customer.

No
GO to «HD2».

HD2 CHECK FOR OTHER CONTINUOUS MEMORY DTCS

NOTE:
Check for other Continuous Memory DTCs which could cause the misfire DTC.

Possible causes:

-- Camshaft Position Sensor (CID).

-- Octane Adjust (Oct Adj).

-- Ignition Coil Primary Circuit.

-- Knock Sensor (KS).

l Are there any other Continuous Memory DTCs present?

Yes
ADDRESS the next Continuous Memory DTC. DISREGARD Misfire DTC at this time. GO to Section 5A for «Powertrain DTC Charts».

No
GO to «HD3».

#21 ·
I never had any missfires but I just thought at one time after I had bought the car "I wonder if the MAF could use a cleaning?" So I found some info on the net about cleaning MAF and followed instructions. In fact, I found the info in the tech articles here on TCCoA. Anyways, I cleaned the MAF sensor wires and put it all back together and it was like a new car! It shifted firmer, ran alot smoother, acceration was awsome and MPG went up a few. When I bought the car I could get about 27-28 MPG then it kept going down after I installed the K&N. I guess the oils were getting to the sensor. Also about a month after I bought the car I changed the plugs to Bosch platinums. It started a cyl 4 miss code about another month later. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they checked the code, then the plugs and they put Motorcraft plugs in and never had a problem again.

Clay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.