TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of random curiosity... I'm going back to the track this weekend (only an 1/8 mile, it sucks i know but there isn't a 1/4 mile anywhere around here. Unless someone know's of one in central Florida, I'm in Lakeland) I have a 94 3.8 n/a automatic. When i'm doing my run, and when i'm shifting it manually through 1st and 2nd, what RPM would you say i can safely go to without worrying about blowing something up... i haven't been letting it shift past like 5000 or 5100. I dunno, the redline is like 5250 but I don't know how far I should push it. Anyone have any good tips??

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Geno from markviii.org shifts at 6000 regularly. Hes got money to burn though. Id say your fine at 5, but try and shift so that ur at the top of the power band when you shift and near the bottom when the next gears is engaged. I have no idea where this is. Stock dyno sheets neone? Also I believe that there is a 1 sec delay from MLPS movement to shift, so youll have to factor that in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have you had your chip flashed to remove your rev limiter? If not then the limiter will hit right at the red line which is 5250. What I do is shift at around 4500 so that when the shift hits the engine is at about 5 grand. Hope that helps.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
First of all, Geno owns a mark 8.

second, a shift point higher than stock will make you slower unless you have some SERIOUS mods done.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i haven't had anything done to my chip... and i've never tested my rev limiter, but i <i>have</i> hit my redline before and it didn't do anything... Does anyone know for a fact what RPM's i'll cut off at if i'm just sitting there, put it in nuetral, and put the pedal on the floor? or am i going to blow something up.... yeah there is a slight gap between when you shift it manually and when it actually shifts, like someone said before probably about a second... so i shift at around 4800 or 4900 to get to 5100 or so.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The rev limiter is still there in neutral. So you don't need to worry about blowing anything unless your moter has been ragged out.

Actualy I think our moters are safe all the way up to 7k, don't quote me but I though I read it some were on the board. Anyway the rev limiter is set for 5250 because of your tourque converter and drive shaft. above 5.5 and you run the risk of messing something up, but thats OK because about 4500 is were the peak power starts to go down.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Spike said:
Just out of random curiosity... I'm going back to the track this weekend (only an 1/8 mile, it sucks i know but there isn't a 1/4 mile anywhere around here. Unless someone know's of one in central Florida, I'm in Lakeland) I have a 94 3.8 n/a automatic. When i'm doing my run, and when i'm shifting it manually through 1st and 2nd, what RPM would you say i can safely go to without worrying about blowing something up... i haven't been letting it shift past like 5000 or 5100. I dunno, the redline is like 5250 but I don't know how far I should push it. Anyone have any good tips??
Are you going to the track in Jacksonville?I will be there,well I hope I will be.A couple of my friends are going so if you are going there maybe I will see yoou.
Chris

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Our engines can take 6000 rpms for brief instances. the delay in the shift can be taken care of in two ways, one more expensive and more work than the other. 1. swap in a 5 speed. 2. 89 - 93, get a shift kit, 94-97 do the trans mods created by the unmetionable. my friend just a got a SC rebuilt tranny witha shift kit installed in his 90 cougar n/a, and that thing shifts absolutely great.... chirping second!! but you dont want to take it to almost redline because of the power curves, that can be changed if you can really free up the intake and exhaust... free it up a lot. -greg

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ive heard of this MLPS, what does it do?????

what does this MLPS do b/c my tranny switches good but sometimes it does eratic shifts, like im pressing my accelerator and the rpms go down a bit instead of up, or another example im braking and my rpms rev a bit up and then go back down. a bit noticable but not a big deal. And sometimes i have to switch my own speeds by playing with the accelerator.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah so you're all pretty much saying that i should shift at about 5000? That sounds like a plan to me. Oh, and I'm not going to Jacksonville, that's a little too far for me, i'm only 16 and i don't have time to drive there lol. The track here is called USA International Speedway in Lakeland. I've been talking to you Glowing Escape on AIM, I'm IronMan569. You know how i have my intake and exhaust free'd up. I have K&N Intake and true duals... soon to get a pulley. After that the only thing i'm thinking of doing is maybe a chip... anyone know of one specifically for maybe what i have done to my car? i know they're only minor mod's but i like em' hehe. Thanks you guys

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dennis Reinhart can make chips for the 3.8... www.reinhartautomotive.com

I have a 3.8 NA with a K&N intake and the Dennis Chip. Check my thread under the Power adders forum called: "Dennis Chip is Awesome". He can set the chip up however you want, just tell him your mods and what you want.

Also, the chip will reprogram the fuel and timing curve to match your increased intake and exhaust flow. You may or may not know that your stock computer program doesn't compensate for more fuel at WOT with a modified intake, so you're probably running lean at WOT. The O2 and mass air sensors only provide input at part throttle. It changes the shift points in the trans too so you need not bother with manually shifting either. Just place car in drive, plant accelerator to floor, and aim it where you want to go.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts