TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing one Cougar with it, I bought a Taurus spoiler off of eBay. The Thunderbirds look sharp with it, but the Cougar I wasn't really sure how it would look. The pictures of a Cougar I had seen it was tough to tell, because they didn't really take any pictures with the spoiler taken into account, and a small white spoiler on a white car in the sun...

So, other than my car is Oxford white not clear coated and the spoiler is Performance White clear coated, and the car is completely filthy, here are some pictures of the spoiler just resting on the trunk. It won't look anything like this when/if I mount it because the front will be flush, but it sticks up because of the mounting bolts. I was amazed at how well it follows the contour of the rear deck, I thought the rear deck was straight across with no curve and the Taurus had a lot of curve, but it follows exact curve the entire width.

I have had the car for 11 years, and done nothing to it besides mechanical upkeep and an aftermarket radio. So now I get the nice 97 Sport, and want to do some stuff to the beater. Also it will have the 7 spoke Cougar Sport wheels on it once I spring for new rubber for them. I am thinking of not painting it, and leaving the mismatch, it isn't like the car is red and the spoiler is green. I am also thinking of painting the side trim white and replacing the rusted "chrome" mylar on the trim with black. I don't know what to do with the rubber surround on the rear window that shrunk and wrinkled.

Anyone have any helpful hints on what I will need to do to trim it to make it fit the best? (I mocked it up on the 2000 Grand Marquis but it has too big of a lip already, and it was 8 inches too narrow for the 90 Town Car hahaha)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm suprised it fits that well, I always thought the birds had more "curve" in the back then Cougars.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
nice.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I like it, been thinking about putting one on mine for over a year now. Think Ill actually do it now when I replace the hood, hopefully this spring.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think it looks great.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I don't like it all that well. You can tell it's supposed to fit the rounded edge of the Taurus trunklid.
It looks out of place from the rear view.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That looks nice, it looks alot better than I thought it would. You can tell its a different shade but its not that bad.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
if you decide to keep it, make sure you wire the third brake light in. and unwire the one in the back window. nothing looks more retarded than when you have two third brake lights a la honda boy.

cougarcragar said:
It looks out of place from the rear view.
:zwthstpd:

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
There are some views that make it look good, but there are a few there that make it look really out of place.

It may just be that I'm partial to the stock one. ;)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That doesn't look bad, but it's just too narrow for my tastes. The back part looks like it needs filling in or something.

I went to the local pull-a-part and placed several ricey spoilers on the back of an old junk tbird. Nothing looks right because they aren't wide enough. I think a spoiler should stick past the side of the trunklid a couple inches. Even or almost even with the rear quarters. Nothing but a tbird spoiler looks just right to me.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
icantdrive55 said:
I think a spoiler should stick past the side of the trunklid a couple inches....
yup, why have a wing if you can't fly with it? :tongue:

sorry dude but i think a wing would look like a$$ if it sticks out that far, imho, i think it looks sweet if it's just about half an inch too narrow on the sides. like the one i got on my bird. his spoiler looks a little too narrow but it would still complement his cougar nicely.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I would like a Cougar sport wing on it, but I have a 97 with one, so want something a little different.

This is my 162k beater. It gets driven more now that I have a newer one than it did when it was primary driver (the 97 needs lots of trips to the auto parts stores for parts). I want to set it off from all the other white 89/91 Cougars here. These are very popular cars where I live, this will make it easier to identify mine at the mall before I try my key in the door and it doesn't open only to find it isn't mine.

Thanks for all the feedback, I haven't had a chance to take the plunge and drill the holes, I need it "100% mission capable" right now because the 97 has a date with a shop to get the AC Discharge tube replaced, it is leaking, and with 100+ degrees looming, for the 5 times a month I get to drive it, I want it to have cold AC. It has chosen this week to rain .0001 inches, which is enough to screw up my plans.

I don't want a ricer wing, there are others here with aftermarket wings that look very nice, but for a small lip spoiler this thing is pretty close. it follows the back edge of the trunk, I test fit it on the 95 Taurus I used to drive, and it fits the same (VERY VERY CLOSE) to the way it does on the Cougar without drilling the holes for the mounts yet.

Maybe tomorrow I will get to it. I have some Mustang PBR calipers on the way for the 97, and about 30 other little things that I have started and haven't finished. Going to paint the rear calipers on the 97 also (and fronts when I get them), finish the audio install, geeze, I gotta get off my butt! (that doesn't include whatever the exhaust needs, endless).

I will be pulling the third taillight out of the rear window, the entire rear deck is warped from heat, so I might try to make another one. Tint the windows, 16 inch Sport wheels, paint the trim white and replace rusted chrome with black, maybe make it an Xr7 SC poser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts