TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was wondering since im now not in school and 20 that I should claim myself on my taxes? Unless my parents can still claim me? Can they still do that? I was just wondering if I would get more money if I claimed myself instead of them.. Last year I only got like maybe at the most 300 outta like 2000+ in taxes.. LMK guys and gals!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I think it depends on whether you were in school at all last year. It also might be up to you and your parents whether or not they claim you.

I graduated in May of 2000, at the age of 23. Next spring, my mom called up and informed me that she wanted to claim me on her taxes one more year since I attended school for part of that year.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
927 Posts
KrAzyT said:
no school at all.. not that i can think off.. maybe till feb
:zdunno: but even if you went for a month, I'd still check it out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you still live with your parents? Whoever pays more than 50% of your expenses can claim you. If you're still living with your parents and they're providing food, shelter, clothing, etc. for you, they'd be entitled to claim you as a dependant. If you're out on your own, claim yourself. That said, your parents may not care to claim you even if you are still living with them. If they don't care, claim yourself.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If I recall, it would be smarter to claim yourself and owe your parents some money. I think you get a greater deduction as yourself than as someone's dependant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts