TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 tbird n/a and i put a system in it so i wanna get rid off some weight to make up b/c it feels faster w/o the system.

I only wanna gut stuff that is unoticable like the tar stuff in the trunk and whatever you guys know.

Thanks Jay

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
-spare tire
-replace factory hood with a fiberglass one (mach1 or cobra R)
-Ford Taurus 15" wheels. They weigh like 7 lbs less EACH!

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Some of this you may not want to do, but all this stuff can be done and it will still be streetable, although removing the door panel insulation may cause quite a bit of road noise. The carpet padding removal does not cause much noise increase at all.

- Remove brace behind back seat
- Remove jute padding from underside of carpet
- Remove sound deadener from door panels
- Remove air conditioning system components
- Any insulation above headliner? If so..out it goes
- Clean junk out of trunk
- Back seat delete
- Cut off mufflers/resonator/third cat, replace with pipe instead
- Lightweight seats up front
- Cut roof off of car <--- Just kidding, I ran out of ideas! :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just thought of a couple what about the metal piece under the steering column undernieth the plastic panel b/c its a good weight!

also if i could find something lighter for the intake tube that ruber is heavy!

And for the insulation in the trunk(tar) would I get alot of road noise???

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
hotbird said:
Some of this you may not want to do, but all this stuff can be done and it will still be streetable, although removing the door panel insulation may cause quite a bit of road noise. The carpet padding removal does not cause much noise increase at all.

- Remove brace behind back seat
- Remove jute padding from underside of carpet
- Remove sound deadener from door panels
- Remove air conditioning system components
- Any insulation above headliner? If so..out it goes
- Clean junk out of trunk
- Back seat delete
- Cut off mufflers/resonator/third cat, replace with pipe instead
- Lightweight seats up front
- Cut roof off of car <--- Just kidding, I ran out of ideas! :D
Uuuhh, you can deffinetely count on a HUGE loss in handling by removing the brace behind the seat. It basically holds the car together

removing the sound deadening underneath the carpet makes a BIG difference in sound. You'd be surprised at how much it really quiets down the interior noise. You can probably count on not having conversations with people inside the car with that stuff removed.

And putting straight pipe on your 3.8 will cause such a loss in power it won't matter how much weight you save.

-Thomas

·
Registered
319 Posts
ehhhhh, I wouldn't be too worried about the words speed and 3.8 n/a coming into the same sentence..........BUT!

If you can decrase any rotating weight it would more beneficial then decreasing the static weight in your car. I read somehere that it takes 1.4 times more power to move the roatating weight than static. I would start with the easy stuff though. Spare tire, jack, rear seats, all insulation and carpeting in the trunk.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
LOL, I didn't bother to check what motor he had, I was thinking of stuff I did to my car so naturally I was thinking of a 4.6. Cut my exhaust off behind front cats, left it as-is (no pipe added or anything, just 8" section of open pipe right off the cat under the car, no fumes or anything inside.) and the weight of all that removed exhaust stuff is probably a good 15-20 pounds. Sounds GREAT, and going WOT passing people gets a few heads turning too. Just watch out for cops.

When I pulled the padding underneath my carpet I didn't notice much of a difference in sound levels, but maybe it's because my exhaust pipes end right at the transmission tail shaft. Weight of padding removed is around 5-6 lbs I think. I can still hold a conversation in my car however, and with the windows down the exhaust sounds good. Take away the intake/exhaust noise and the car is still pretty quiet.

The brace behind the rear seat, it's only 4 pounds or less...don't bother pulling it if you don't want to, just a suggestion I had. I can't tell if it affects handling because my rear sway bar bushings fell out. (yes, they are MISSING! :eek: ) I think I will reinstall one when someone can sell me one from a junker, I threw out my old one. (Old brace, not sway bar!)

Not trying to start a flame war here, just clarifying (sp?) my input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts