TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I was at Powerhouse automotive to get a dynotune and they made a tubro kit for a 5.0 mustang... all stock... running 11's with here turbo kit and no tune..

They said they could make a turbo kit as long as they would be able to have some kind of martket.. think this might be possible? They said making the custom headers would be to bad...

what yall think?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Go for just the headers. That's what we really need. I would envison the turbo being where the battery is located.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
smokymance said:
Wha.... how am I supposed to be able to express any kind of "real" interest in something if I dont have a price range. Especially since theres talk of one possibly being put together for the 5.0L from another company already. I know its not gonna be cheap either way.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
GreenBird said:
Go for just the headers. That's what we really need. I would envison the turbo being where the battery is located.
that's what i was thinking for a single turbo mn12, just use the relocation kit to mount the battery in the trunk, i guess my idea wasn't as original as i thought, lol....:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
It would be nice to have a bolt-on turbo kit for our cars, but if the turbo sits all the way up where the battery is I'd think that'd give you quite a bit of turbo lag. I believe you want you're turbo where it is both close to the exhaust manifolds and the intake so you get good responsiveness.

Oh well it's not like I can afford forced induction anyway :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The length of the turbo piping is really a non-issue as far as turbo lag is concerned. Lag occurs because the turbo must overcome inertia in order to spool up, not because air takes a long time to get from the engine to the turbo.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Actually the speed of the gas (exhaust) which turns the turbo is affected by temperature. The farther from the engine, the cooler the gas, the slower it moves. You can overcome some of this with header wrap or ceramic coating.

On another note, most likely you would have the exhaust feed foward instead of backward, with custom headers, directly to the turbo. That would depend on available space, but would be the shortest route to the turbo. With enough room, you could do a dual inline turbo to beat the lag. Exhaust feeds small turbo which feeds big turbo.

Technology has improved a lot on these and lag is as much of an issue as it used to be. A T3/T4 gives big boost with little lag.

In the end, it's going to cost a lot. The T-bird just doesn't have the room for the plumbing that the mustang does. You could have a Kenne-Bell for the price of a turbo MN12.

Dan

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I've done some research on this too, while you're right that the gas expands and slows down somewhat, the volume of gas does not decrease only the kinetic energy it contains as heat. As the gas cools some of that energy dissipates, but not so much that it's then worthless. When turbo system designers spec a turbo for a system, they take into account the amount of kinetic energy available at the turbo. This is calculated by the displacement, rpm and distance from the motor. By varying the impeller and compressor maps, they can accommodate any change in the kinetic energy. You could technically have 50 feet of pipe between the turbo and motor and still make it work.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The headers are the hardest thing to make. everything else is pipe bending and welding...

If ford could have just made the manifolds so they could be flipped we'd already have a turbo 4.6L

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
GreenBird said:
The headers are the hardest thing to make. everything else is pipe bending and welding...

If ford could have just made the manifolds so they could be flipped we'd already have a turbo 4.6L
could you flip the headers left to right, upside down, and machine a flange and port a side of the cylinder head exhaust port?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts