TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a write up or knows where there is one posted on the forum about swaping from tbird bolt pattern to the Mustang?

And a parts list of parts need.

Never Mind I found this on my last search.. :)

http://members.tccoa.com/dlf/Article.html

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tbird wheel to mustang wheel swap

Is there a place I can purchase the rear caliper bracket already made for this swap. . before i fab up one myself. ..

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I am running the stock rear brake rotors and calipers. All you have to do is drill out your rotors to fit the mustang-patterned hubs. A guy I used to know had a black v6 with GT wheels and drum brakes on the rear.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good. I will buy new rear rotors and have a machine shop drill them to the Mustang pattern.

Do you still have to drill out the center hub to fit the mustang rim?

Problem solved.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I didnt even think about that on the rear! Use redrilled mn12 hubs and you wont have any worries about the center hole, of course the wheel is resting only on lugnuts then, like mine. The fronts are hubcentric since I have the mustang hubs, but the back are mn12 redrilled hubs. If you are putting mustang wheels on the rear, there is no interference since the thing sticking out of the hub on the mn12 is smaller than the hole in the wheel.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MN12 TO SN95 Hub Swap

Anyone know of any rear rotors for Mustangs that are 10.125 or close V6 or V8?? SN95 hub. I think the 94/95 V6/V8 rear rotors are 10.000 and I am going to try them as just .125 (1/4) difference seems like it will work.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have a lathe, drill press and a set of center punches so I just machined the rear rotor myself and used mustang rotors on the front.
Alan

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the reason why the Mustang rear rotor will not work because it has a slightly larger dia than the Tbird? And that would mean that the Tbird brake bracket will not clear the larger Mustang rotor.

Plus there looks like the Mustang has a larger offset (but small) than the Tbird rotor also ?

Then that would mean that the only thing that would need done to it would be to machine the outside of the Mustang rotor to the Tbird size thus therefore clearing the brake bracket.

Would NOT have to open up the Tbird center bore and would NOT have to redrill bolt hole patteren.

What do the experts think??

·
Super Moderator
5,173 Posts
I think the 94/95 V6/V8 rear rotors are 10.000 and I am going to try them as just .125 (1/4) difference seems like it will work.
Just a minor correction - .125" is 1/8".

AND - that's 1/16th (.0625) extra clearance needed (you clear on the radius, the diameter is 2x radius - or the radius is .5 diameter, take your pick.)

RwP

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I take that off the outside dia then it will work? Right?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even with new pads? I could shim in between the pad and the piston and that would solve that.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
SWAP completed.

See pictures in my Photobucket link.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Now that is a black Thunderbird! I love the Rs, they look super sweet on your car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts