TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently (probably over the last 18 months) I've started noticing this strange behavior from my TC. It doesn't happen all the time, but lately I've noticed it's happening more than half the time.

If I'm driving along, accelerating at a normal pace from a stop, the trans shifts as it should from 1st into 2nd, then from 2nd into 3rd. A second later the TC locks, then it shifts into 4th. I can drive along and tap the brakes and the TC will unlock as it should. Also, if I just start coasting the TC seems to unlock. When I start accelerating again, say we've now dropped back into 3rd gear, the TC stays unlocked sometimes for 3-5 seconds, even after the shift into 4th gear (again, all at normal acceleration). Also, occasionally after resuming acceleration (from 3rd gear) the engine will bog down for a half a second as if the TC is trying to lock then doesn't. I can attempt to get a video if my explanation was unclear.

Could this be a bad TCC solenoid, or could it be my program?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I sent an e-mail off to Lonnie.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sounds exactly how mine is. I thought it was just the 94-95's that had a crappy shift tune.

BTW, I read in another thread something about Federal PCM's. What's that about? Do they have different engine/tranny tunes?

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's the tune. Mine did something similar until I tuned it myself.
I don't suppose it's anything you can change with an xcal 2.......

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
FWIW, my '95 acts exactly the same way..... Since the jmod it shifts absolutely incredible, but now that you mention your behaviors and I think about it, my TC acts the same way. It shifts/locks great, never shudders, so I never gave it much thought and figured it to be normal, and now it seems it is for a stock tune.
:zdunno:

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yep that's all in the tune and Chris is right. You have to have the PRP to get to those options. There are time delays for lockup after tip in and such. I have mine set up to stay locked up most of the time. The only thing I wish I could change is the unlock feature when brakes are applied. I use fuel coast shut off and keep the converter locked. And it gets annoying when you have to slow down for a bit and the converter unlocks and drops way low in RPM to just lock up again right after the brakes are applied. I have gotten used to it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts