TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96TB 4.6 auto with 122,000 miles. The TC is experiencing minor shuddering mainly when cold. I have added chemicals to help the shuddering which has helped some. Can someone provide some information on this shuddering issue and how long can this continue before I run into more serious issues. Any information on this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
Drain your transmission fluid, including the torque converter, and refill with fresh MerconV. That will help alleviate the shudder, however it may return. If it does return within 30K miles, then you will need to replace the torque converter to make it go away, however the shudder will not cause any ill effects on the rest of the trans, so most people just live with it unless or until the trans has to come out for some other reason.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the information. I will change the TF.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. I will change the TF.

Glenn
Make sure it's Mercon V, not anything else.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
And a full flush, including TC is around 12 qts.

Al

Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think there's something to do with draining the torque converter without adding solvents to spread junk around the tranny. You have to drain the tranny to get to the TC so it's the fullest flush you can do. My car had the shudder at 100k and the flush worked and I did it again at 150k.

It's going to drain better if it's warm.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Mines been doing it on and off for about 100k miles. Changing the fluid seems to help for a while. Mine needs doing again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought 12 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V. I work PT at O'R and I can not get pure Mercon V except through old store stock. Only the ATF/MV is now available.

I am going to buy the Dorman AT pan #265-813 when I change the fluid and filter. What is the recommended filter to use with the Dorman pan - just a stock filter for the 96TB?

I am going to put the TB up on ramps - 10" high and then disconnect the upper radiator AT cooler and let the AT pump empty the trans. Any comments on this approach? Will using ramps in an elevated way affect the AT pump?

Glenn

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Just use the stock pan, and re-use the gasket if it's the factory style. OR get a new Ford gasket. I was tempted to get that Dorman pan with the drain plug, but it had a lot of wrinkles on the sealing surface. That, coupled with an aftermarket thin rubber gasket would be likely to leak.

And when you pump out the fluid first, the pan only has a small amount left in it, so not having a drain plug is a non-issue.

You can just raise the front end to pump the fluid out (be careful, it drains FAST!). One minute at the most should do it, don't want to run the pump dry. But the thing is, you have to get the car high off the ground to remove the pan. So, the car on 4 jack stands and level is the way to go. You need it level for the re-fill.

Al

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your comments - very helpful. Since I work at O'R I can order parts and return them if they are not right. I ordered the Dorman AT pan and was quite pleased with its workmanship. The sealing surface was smooth with no ripples. The pan was made out of thick sheet metal so I decided to keep it. But, I was disappointed that it did not have a magnetic plug. I may just cement some magnets in the bottom of the pan. If anyone has a part number for a magnetic plug please post it here. I could not find one. I also ordered a B&M trans cooler - #70268 I should have install one YEARS ago. But, the TB is only used for daily driving.

I will use my ramps on the front end and jack stands under the axles. By the way can someone give me the correct positions for the rear jack stands. I assume the axles are OK?

Glenn

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The frame rails are where you put jack stands. The IRS axles are NOT okay to support the weight of the car. On a solid axle car that would be okay.

Al

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
No need to cement magnets to the plug. When you remove the stock pan, there will be a magnet inside, which attaches to the bottom of the pan via magnetism. Just pull that out, clean it up, and put it in the same location on the new pan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.