TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 97 mark motor and trans into my 95 bird using the bird harness. I switched out the TCC solenoids only which was the advice I was given. I had a tune made for it all using the Excalibrater tuner. I'm still getting a TCC code and the car wants to jerk when off the throttle at decent speed. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i swapped my 95 AODE tcc solenoid into the 97 Mark 4R70W tranny using the stock harness but it still does it. I was thinking if nothing else I'll just put an AODE back in it. Would I have to have it reprogrammed for the AODE? Any other thoughts or ideas? I would like to keep the 4R70W but will let it go if I have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
did you repin your harness right.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't think you had to repin for that. I was under the impression that's what the tune was for. If that's what the problem is would it be safe to say that putting the AODE back in it would fix the problem?

·
Registered
623 Posts
The harness does not need to be re-pinned when installing a '97 trans into a '95 car. A tune is also not needed if only the trans is being installed.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
MN12s never got the AODE, always the 4R70W. Not that it helps your situation. I don't know that the case differences and internals between a 95 and 97 make the 97 transmission that much better.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
MN12s never got the AODE, always the 4R70W. Not that it helps your situation. I don't know that the case differences and internals between a 95 and 97 make the 97 transmission that much better.
Weren't the 1989-1993 Thunderbird/Cougars considered MN12s? They came with the AOD. The 4R70W was introduced in 1994, I believe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Weren't the 1989-1993 Thunderbird/Cougars considered MN12s? They came with the AOD. The 4R70W was introduced in 1994, I believe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Thunderbird
EDIT: this is wrong. :) The 4r70w was introduced with the eec-v cars, afaicr. The additional EEC capabilities were needed for the all electronic tranny, from what I've read here.

The 3.8l version will bolt to a 5.0, but they were never used that way, I don't believe. All the 5.0s have a TV cable, and that's aod.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I swapped in both trans and motor. I was thinking of taking it down to a local dyno shop called Automotion. There is a guy who deals with ford tunning. He wasn't the one who built the tune but do you think he would be able to track it down anyway? Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips is the one I got the tune from so I know it's straight. He's just not within driving distance.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Did you install the solenoid before you installed the transmission or did you wait until you had problems. You may just need a new solenoid, if you ran it on the wrong solenoid you probably need a new pcm.
Alan

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did drive it before I changed it yes. Not much though. It does have the birds TCC solenoid in it now. I talked to lonnie a bit ago and he seems to think it's electrical. Im not sure if the guy who swapped it used the Birds MLPS switch or not. Would the Mark MLPS switch even plug into the Bird harness? Just trying to rule that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
just did this on my 95 today, 97Mk8 trans with the 11"TC i just got a whole new TCC for a 95 bird and threw that in. mine works great so far, without a tune or anything. never had to touch the harness or any of that. their pretty much the same trans with the smaller TC. of course i would have to assume your got the DOHC motor, mines just my old stock SOHC.

but anyway, i would bet its that TCC, might be cracked around the nipple or something, and like alan said, dont put that 97 in! it will smoke the ecm.

and the bird will have a oval shaped 6pin (i think its 6)mlps, the mark will have had a rectangle shapped one with 8 pins in it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That helps alot. So the Mark 8 MLPS won't even plug into the Bird's tranny harness. Lonnie said he was going to send me a file for my programmer to take the tune off of the tranny only to see if that helps. Im trying to avoid that of course so I guess im going to try putting a new solenoid in it first then go from there. I appreciate all the help guys.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm getting ready to drive the Bird down to the shop. Before I do though I was wondering what kind of damage if any it would cause to the tranny with that TCC solenoid not working or is it just an annoyance?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is the TCC not working something that will cause overheating? I was wondering if it would cause excessive heat or not.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If the converter isn't locking up you will make more heat than running without it. It shouldn't be to the point of overheating unless you are beating the crap out of it.
Alan

1 - 20 of 64 Posts