TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All four of my sway bar endlink bushings are well worn, and are starting that clicking sound. So, I started by calling autozone to see what endlinks cost. It would cost me about 140 in parts to replace all four corners.

Now, I see that the tccoa is offering a deal on addco sway bars to its members. For a good price you can get the "competition" sway bar package (front and back).

But it says this: "These kits come with all the necessary hardware that the upgrade requires such as polyurethane bushings, End link kits, Spacers, Collars, etc... "

Now, what exactly is an "end link kit" Is it new endlinks, or is it parts to repair my worn endlink?

many thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
244 Posts
i dunno. but when i got my rear bar, i only got the poly bushings. also, the front bar is probably not something you want to put in unless your engine is out. i imagine the "kit" has everything you need. the original rear end links i took off were more of a specialized piece. the parts they send for the new links are basically some stuff you could get at the hardware store. i had to buy addco part #008, which had the collars and spacers.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
You should NOT have to buy anything extra. If your bar didn't come with endlinks, it's just because they forgot to include them in your box. When you order a rear bar, you should tell them whether your car is lowered or not. If so, you get 1.5" shorter endlinks to keep the geometry right. You should get two bolts, two nuts, two spacers, eight washers and eight bushings.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Sir William said:
You should NOT have to buy anything extra. If your bar didn't come with endlinks, it's just because they forgot to include them in your box. When you order a rear bar, you should tell them whether your car is lowered or not. If so, you get 1.5" shorter endlinks to keep the geometry right. You should get two bolts, two nuts, two spacers, eight washers and eight bushings.

So if you lower your car you should get the shorter endlinks even if you don't want a new bar?
Seems to me it would help to lower the car more, and give better handling on it's own (bar can do lateral work instead of vertical work)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
GreenBird said:

So if you lower your car you should get the shorter endlinks even if you don't want a new bar?
Seems to me it would help to lower the car more, and give better handling on it's own (bar can do lateral work instead of vertical work)
i stand corrected...

next post

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
It doesn't matter if you're lowered when you have stock endlinks because one end of the endlink pivots. On the ADDCO bar, it's designed differently. So lowering changes the angles and puts a lot of preload on the bushings that can affect the ability of the sway bar.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Addco Big Bar Kit

I put the Addco 1 3/8" F/R sway bar kit on my '89 XR-7. The Kit comes with EVERYTHING you need. It also comes with all poly bushings, end links & center mounts. I put the rear bar on in about 20 min. I had the front bar put on by my SC mechanic.

I am looking at Energy Suspension (p/n: 9.5168 RC) 1 3/8" center mounts. They have a grease zerk in them. They also have grease channels in the Poly, to keep the bar lubed all the time. The Addco bushings don't have grease zerks, or grease channels. If you don't keep the poly pushings greased, they creak & groan over every bump!

The 1 3/8" bars are stiffer than OEM, but I don't think the ride is harsh at all. The car handles like it's on rails! Lowered cars would handle even better.

The big bars also help to control Vertical wheel hop, however most of our IRS wheelhop appears to be fore & aft. Big bars can't do anything to help fore-aft wheelhop.

68COUGAR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts