TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if this is a member, or if he's just using the site for info. Read the answer to question number 8 in the Q&A section of this ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Thunderbird-1989-1997-Perfect-Cut-Window-Tints_W0QQitemZ120089978682QQihZ002QQcategoryZ63689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay Ad said:
8.) Are these tints legal in my state?

It is the customers responsibility to know and be aware of their state laws. We are not liable for any tickets or legal ramifications that may arise from purchasing our window tints. Please click on the following link for more information: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/misc/tintlaw.html

·
8,239 Posts
24.99 to do your own tints haha.

I think a shop would charge 30 bucks to do those two windows, and they do it, not you.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the rear window is a true Pain in the *** to do. Any comments?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
24.99 to do your own tints haha.

I think a shop would charge 30 bucks to do those two windows, and they do it, not you.
It is for all the glass on the car. (However, I see no mention of the windshield.)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really think I'd want the windshield tinted anyway. And I'm pretty certain that its illegal in most states.

·
Registered
956 Posts
When I had my '89 N/A TBird's windows tinted back in '97, the guy that did the job complained to me for 15 minutes when I picked the car up about that rear window. Said he wasted a ton of film trying to get it right. Turned out flawless though!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't really think I'd want the windshield tinted anyway. And I'm pretty certain that its illegal in most states.
I don't know about other states but in Georgia the top 6" can be tinted. Not that I would want 6" of tint coming down on my windshield but 3-4" inches might be nice.

·
Administrator
745 Posts
Anybody try the link he sited - it didn't work for me.
I could get back to the articles in misc. and clicked on national tint laws.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i take it you decided to order precuts? darkest allowable in ks is 35% vlt. all around (sans windshield, where it is illegal beyond the factory tint strip) you cannot have reflective tint, or tint that is red in color. and i noticed that there was a tccoa link there a long time ago. dead link, i moved on. lol.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I sent this clown an email months ago telling him to stop using our bandwidth for his business but he never replied so I changed the link on our end. This guy has hundreds of auctions running at any given time.
Perhaps there's an ebay competitors store that you could start redirecting his traffic too. Once he's informed of that he might just get motivated to change his links. but probably not...

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i take it you decided to order precuts? darkest allowable in ks is 35% vlt. all around (sans windshield, where it is illegal beyond the factory tint strip) you cannot have reflective tint, or tint that is red in color. and i noticed that there was a tccoa link there a long time ago. dead link, i moved on. lol.
Haven't decided yet. I haven't bought anything yet. And having seen this persons respect for another organizations bandwidth, I'll not be buying from them. Right now tint is kinda far down the list, and my budget is getting eaten up FAST! (I've got to be sure I save enough to feed all you clowns in May! :D)

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Cougar windows for the win!
I had a tint guy tell me ours were no better.
This is true. I've tinted at least 10 vehicles so far.
The issue with the rear glass is not the size or angle, but rather the compound curves of it. Take a long look at the rear glass of the MN12 Cougar - it's anything but flat. Those compound curves create creases and folds in the tint that are almost impossible to get rid of.
I believe there are two options:
1. Heat shrinking the tint to "mold" to the glass
2. Cutting thin strips to use in between the defroster lines

You think we have it bad? Take a look at a 3rd or 4th generation Camaro hatch. I wouldn't even attempt to tint that glass...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
yeah I had 3 different shops mess up my tint before I gave up and just left the 3-4 bubbles/creases. You think its bad on normal birds and cats? try it with the fake rag top (can't heat gun the outside because it starts to melt) I think I will attempt to do my own in the spring.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
My tint shop removed the rear window completely and baked the tint on.

Very nice job with a lifetime warranty.

- Dan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts