TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the tech article about Tbirds not having struts and thats false. Tbirds technically have struts in the front and shocks in the rear. They might look like half shock/ half strut, but they are considered struts. Anybody agree?

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Anybody agree?
There are a few people who still insist they are a strut. They certainly aren't like a MacPherson strut at all. I call them shocks myself, and so do most people here.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah they are shocks. Re-read the tech article (specifically the definition of struts). Don't think they are struts just because of appearance.

Russell

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
This is my .02:

Strut = A spring dampening device and an integral part of the suspension, i.e. it has the pivot points for the suspension arcs/travel.

Shock = Strictly a spring dampening device.

That is the way I determine whether it is a shock or strut. Those may be wrong, but it’s worked so far for me as a quick guideline. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,614 Posts
They are shocks. Ford says they are and the shop manual says they are. I have the page from the shop manual that illustrates this fact but the member sites are down right now.

Believe the tech article.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
It’s funny how this pops up every few months.

Here is a giveaway bit of information as to the correct description of ‘shock or strut’;
If both a upper AND lower control arm are present, the vehicle is equipped with shocks.

Our beloved lead sleds are bestowed with these (upper & lower arms) and therefore, in
spite of protestations from some folk, are equipped with shocks.

Albeit they do look like struts, but alas, they are mere shocks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, i agree with the definition but if you look for a replacement, some places comsider it a strut. Most of the online part stores ive visited refered to them as struts also. Why don't they get their facts straight? lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
...waiting for dead horse picture....:tongue:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
:uppoint:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
where's greenbird when ya need him....

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah but you gotta use a macpherson stut remover to get em off unless your like me and like to watch em jump around

·
Registered
882 Posts
I call them struts, then people know what I am talking about. If I say hey, I need new shocks, they don't say front or rear, if I say struts, they are like oh yeah?

Now days, pretty much everyone calls the shocks on the front of the car struts, so, it works for me.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
We have shocks. Read and believe the tech article and Ford.

Thread locked to prevent further contamination of a subject that has been talked about waaaaaaaaay too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.