TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was a good discussion going on about thermostats and what a bleed hole is, how it works and if one is needed. I don't have any first hand experience to speak from, and it isn't critical to me. But a lot of guys were watching the other thread and want to know. So if you have some good info, post it up.
Have at it guys...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Good...I was starting to pass over anything with a quote or started off slinging mud. I am simply stating that the bleed hole is there for the single purpose of bleeding air.

Chris

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
seawalkersee said:
I am simply stating that the bleed hole is there for the single purpose of bleeding air.

Chris
Agreed.

-Rod

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Yes. that would help out greatly when bleeding air out of the system, like at work when filling radiators back up, we have to waste time and let the thermostat open and close many times before all the air is out of the system.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to steer this a little
So, if your thermostat doesn't already have one do you go ahead and add it?

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Darrin said:
I am going to steer this a little
So, if your thermostat doesn't already have one do you go ahead and add it?
I always drill a small hole in the thermostat (of any car) before installing it. It makes bleeding the air out of the system much easier/quicker.

-Rod

·
Registered
335 Posts
I read all of the posts and I decided to go ahead and drill a 1/8 hole in to my 180 degree thermostat before I put it in. When I took out the factory thermostat, it had a hole with a little check ball in it. I was nervous about drilling the hole at first, but it came from the factory with a hole so I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. People say that it takes your car longer to warm up with the hole, but bottom line is I have noticed NO difference with the "bleed hole".

·
8,239 Posts
did you know that FRPP has a "special" thermostat in their catalog this year. Basically its a regular thermostat with a hole drilled in it for coolant bypass.

Now thats funny.

JH

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
seawalkersee said:
Miller. I have done some thinking about your flow numbers post. The numbers you posted are in a closed system? Im not sure if that is pressure on both sides or not. Im thinking the numbers you listed are for water on one side of the hole and atmospheric pressure on the other not a closed system of water. To the guy with the grand prix, Get a cooler t-stat that is from a GOOD manufacture and there will be no need to drill the hole because of the cracks. If the water does not sit inside the block it can not take the heat from the hot spots. And yes water is compressable but not measureable in the cooling systems. It is 10% at 10000 lbs.

Chris
I do not know how I got dragged over here??? I agree with the new GOOD MFG thermostat idea. The hole is to purge air. Once this is done you do not need the hole. Purging can also be done with vigilant coolant flushes. This was my point in the first place…

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I see we are back on the same page again J...

Chris

By the way...did you see my last post on the flow rates you posted?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
well, with the 1/8' hole in the stat, and a new radiator , my bus runs a little cold. I am thinking of getting one with a check valve for the winter next year, that is if there is a next year... one never knows....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
536 Posts
The check ball does one thing: allows the thermostat to open 'on time' after refilling the cooling system. Without it, you will likely have an air pocket under the thermostat and so it will not sense coolant temp when starting after an initial refill. It will eventually open, but the engine will overtemp a little and this can hurt an aluminum head engine.

Mitch

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I got a 180 deg. T-stat last week from ford and it has a hole w/ check ball in it. part number XL3Z-8575-AA.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Not to get off of the subject here but am I reading your sig right with a TT setup? Is it running? Do you have a link to the pics? Do you HAVE pics? Who tuned it? Oh...yeah it is to bleed air.

Chris

·
Registered
536 Posts
seawalkersee said:
Not to get off of the subject here but am I reading your sig right with a TT setup? Is it running? Do you have a link to the pics? Do you HAVE pics? Who tuned it? Oh...yeah it is to bleed air.

Chris
It's a long story, but in short, no it's not yet running. A friend of Jerry, Jim O'Niel, is currently building the car. Was formerly Powerdyned. Now has a 95 Mustang EEC, 4R70W, built A4 and a few other odds and ends. Thanks for asking.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thats sweet. I was orignally thinking about runnning a turdo on the 4.6 but have since found it is gonna be like a grand plus cheaper to run the svo sc.

Chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
I read the hole in the tstat is expecially helpfull for purging a 4v engine because they run a reverse cooling system. I suppose It would be every bit as useful in a normal system. Would def. go for the ford part greenbird listed tho... that reminds me... swapping intake right now... I need one of those...

·
Registered
536 Posts
AtroXR7 said:
I read the hole in the tstat is expecially helpfull for purging a 4v engine because they run a reverse cooling system. I suppose It would be every bit as useful in a normal system. Would def. go for the ford part greenbird listed tho... that reminds me... swapping intake right now... I need one of those...
No reverse cooling on this engine.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 27 Posts